• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Not even a crank

dark92xj

NAXJA Forum User
So ive been working on my 1992 xj sport for a few days now taking out a aftermarket alarm system that was disconnected (too many wires under dash so had to take the system out) and sealing some holes in my floor pan. However i put everything back together on the dash and now the engine wont even crank.

When i turn the key on all the battery voltage meter shows power, the dash lights come on and the whole steering column works (lights, horn, etc.) but when i turn the key to start the engine the only thing that happens is the temp guage spikes up...no crank or anything

can anyone help me out?

Did you have a clutch safety switch on your 92? Might have knocked something loose.

But not now, right?

I'm wondering if something related to the alarm system is messing with the ground for the starter relay, that is where the NSS and clutch safety switch interrupt cranking.

well i installed the alarm system back in the jeep to check and even with the alarm installed it doesnt crank??? im thinking maybe one of the plugs under the dash got knocked loose...happen to know of any wiring diagrams or pictures of all the plugs?

I'm with Joe on this one. I am thinking you may have inadvertently knocked the NSS/clutch safety switch either loose(out of adjustment or it may be unplugged)

? did your alarm have a starter interrupt on it. If so did you remember to reconnect those wires back to each other after you disconnected the alarm from in between it.

yes i connected the wire back together when i took the alarm out. fairly simple yellow to yellow lol. However i believe it is something unplugged under the dash...I have a few plugs that look like they go somewhere but i cant figure out where and one is a blue 4 pin (wierd shape) that comes from the engine bay and is laying by the gas pedal

Well, just for fun, carefully jump the starter where the main cable connects on the large lug to where the starter relay 12 volt supply comes in on the solenoid--make sure you are in park/neutral with the parking brake set. If it won't crank when jumped you have a battery/cables/starter-solenoid problem.

Ok, locate the starter relay, jumper a ground to it from the fenderwell, see if it then cranks with the key.

Essentially, the NSS/clutch safety switch (alarm disable?) is just interrupting the starter relay ground. See if it cranks with the key in START when you provide a ground to the relay.

Good luck.

ok so i took a few hours to work on the jeep last night and here is what i have concluded...

1. the starter solenoid is good

2. the starter motor is good

3. all the plugs under the dash are in the right place

4. it still wont crank

I cant hear the relay click when i turn the key to the on position so i dont know what it could be...any help would be greatly appreciated

i dunno. i recommend buying a haynes. some say its not worth it, but i think its good for little things like finding exactly where things are or how things work (i most recently used it to find how to "unlock" the fuel pump from the tank) its definitely worth the 20 some odd dollars for it.

bought one when this problem started...was about $30. I wanted to get it just for the wiring schematics, however they are so small and confusing...oh well at least i have one now :p

Back