• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bucket Seats in the Back

Nosolace001

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone done it? I am thinking about putting the stock front buckets in the back, and getting some suspension seats for the front. Then creating some sort of center console/storage that would run front to back, possibly put the high lift in there, a rifle, extra axles, etc.

Are the front seats too tall to put in the rear?

Not sure, but to get comfortable seating in back with the front buckets, I think you'd have to move the seat back to the point where the back end of the seat was sitting up on the load floor in back. 'Load floor is a lot higher then the front seat mount. Without a test fit, I'd guess a tall rear seat passenger would have his head in the headliner.
Something else to think about. Suspension seats are thicker then stock seats, so to get equivalent leg room in back the front of the rear seat would have to be further back to compensate for the larger size of the new front seat.

...,still, if you get suspension seat, you can mock up a rear install to see how it would fit. Always worth a try,...

There are a million threads about this here and on JeepForum. Actually, a guy in my club has done this. He put Mastercrafts up front and put his front buckets in the rear. No pics, but he has them mounted low enough to sit in them comfortably. I think if you figure out a mounting system that has them sitting on the rear bulkhead that the stock rear seats usually sit on, you'll be fine as far as height goes. Don't try using the stock front brackets to mount them in the rear.

I did it in my 87 but I kept the stock seats up front and put these pontiac grand am seats I had in the rear. This involved removing the frame from the seats and bolting the "subframe" to the vertical sheetmetal and floor which I also utilized the seat belt mounts on both sides. Then I painted my front seats with vinyl paint to match. Its still tight back there but probobly no more than the stock tightness and I did it more for looks since I don't carry passengers often. I can get some pics up later

Back