• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need ASAP!!! lifted driveshaft measurement!

eXigentJeepin

NAXJA Forum User
i currently have a stock 1999 XJ but i will be installing a 6.5" rough country lift with 33" tires. I ordered a SYE kit and part of the package is a tom woods extended driveshaft but they need the measurement from yoke to yoke from transfer case to rear axel before they can send me one. Does anyone have the correct measurement of the driveshaft AFTER the 6.5" lift? Im not installing the lift until i have the driveshaft so i wont be able to measure it. stock is 35", what is it with a 6.5" lift?

Lots of variables here so no one is going to give you an answer.

My suggestion?

Install your lift and SYE and shim the rear axle to get the appropriate angle to the t-case (should be pointed 1* lower than center on the t-case output). You can drive around in 4WD with no rear driveshaft with no issues like this if you need to drive it.

This will give you the measurement you need. I wouldn't want to "guess" on a ~$300 driveshaft.

^^Agreed. Or if you want, install all that stuff, then put your front driveshaft in the rear. It'll be long enough and hold you over until you get the custom shaft made. Just don't go flexing it out or anything and stretch it too far.

A stock front drive shaft is plenty long with 6" of lift. I'm running a front shaft in the back now... flexed all the way out it does just fine.

I've had 3 different XJ driveshafts from tom woods and they've never asked me how long I needed it to be.

And just because I was curious I just went outside and measured my drive shaft. My stock FRONT XJ shaft is at 34" long at static height (6") with my 8.8. Yours, with you stock axle, should need to be about 2-3" longer. With an SYE, you'll be fine with a stock front drive shaft. Save your money and wait to buy the shaft until after you break a $50 front shaft.

Last edited:
Back