• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heater Core Dilemma

NeXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have 92 XJ with a 98 HO whose heater hasn't worked since the last time by console was broken into and gutted for my stereo head unit. Anyway... I managed to put the relevant wires together again after the vehicle was sitting for close to a year... but when I try the controls nothing happens. No blower. No heat. No nothing. I'm doing some engine cooling work at the moment and the water jacket of the engine is QUITE rusty.. so I'm thinking of doing a muriatic and then phosphoric acid flush to the core/rad and hoping that might do something... but I'm also WILDLY out of my element with the vehicle HVAC system (seriously need an R12 recharge too!!). Can anyone suggest a good place to start? I have the FSM for my year but wanted to ask here first since the FSM tends to be a fairly impractical tome...

No blower: under the hood, jump power to the blower motor to determine if it works. There is a resistor pack that frequently burns out, but you are usually left with the blower working on high. The HVAC switch contacts like to melt. You are probably going to have to pull the dash to fix the wiring and possibly the vacuum connections.

Mine was the same way after a break-in. There was a harness connector that got pulled from the panel. Check that. My cruise control still doesn't work, but I got all the other power accessories working.

Sounds like both of you have vacuum system issues. I'd expect broken/stretched/pulled-off vacuum fittings and lines.

Back