• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Why would this happen and how much trouble am I in?

xjcase

NAXJA Forum User
Just got back from a trip to Vedauwoo WY, where unfortunately I found myself in some rather deep mud (I hate mud.)

Anyhow, after the drive back I noticed that my rear diff was leaking a bit, not anything extreme, but there were two silver dollar sized spots under each side. The diff was muddy so I didn't notice at first, but since it's been cleaned, there is a bolt that is completely sheared off at the cover on the top left. I cannot say when the bolt came off or broke, but I do know that I didn't hit it on anything over the weekend.

I have arb lockers front and rear, and I think most of the leaking is coming from the air inlet on the top, not from the sheared bolt. On top of this all, it's not leaking anymore.

When disengaging my rear locker on the trip (after mud submersion) I noticed some gurgling in the air lines - this I assumed was just condensation from the compressor but could I be wrong?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated - I am new to air lockers and more importantly differential issues, perhaps I've just been lucky thus far.

Also, what kind of costs would I be incurring if I were to take it to a shop to get it sorted? I have a lack of tools in my rented college house :(

Pictures-
IMG_0023.jpg

focus was off on this one, and for the most part it's just wet because of the wash, however you can see that there was some oil-dirt-sledge that has built up around there

IMG_0024.jpg

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice

With all the money in those ARB's some beefy diff covers should be added, they'll add some strength to the housing too.
You should be able to build up that broken bolt with weld enough so you can wrench it out. you'll be losing alot of strength through the stock cover and alot more now with a broken bolt, i'd fix this before wheeling again. check your diff fluid level in the mean time and check for milky fluid.
as to the air lines, i'm no help. lol -B

where in co are ya, if youre near me i can com give ya ahand, first thing is get the dif open, if you took in water, the pressure could be puching water/gear oil out the top, the increase in pressure could damage seals and or the locker...

the air line probably took some water in as well.

get the cover off

i can also come over with some tools and give u a hand. pulling the diff cover cleaning it and resealing it. to get u back on the road.

OP,

You're one of those people that pays a shop to do everything aren't you? lol

I wish I had money like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP,

You're one of those people that pays a shop to do everything aren't you? lol

I wish I had money like that.

Wow...

Maybe start by being nice. Opportunities to make more money may open up. People with a good attitude seem to do better in life. People with a suckie attitude, well... seem to suck at life.

Back on topic.

Like was said, get cover off and get it cleaned out to see what's going on. A shop should not charge that much to get that bolt out and replaced. You might get lucky on the air line too and just need some thread tape to seal it. Either take your local NAXJA friends offer to help or get it to a shop. Either way don't wait, you could cause expensive damage to that locker. And definately get some better covers/guards to protect it.

Thank for all the replies,

to lowrange2 - I am a professional stripper and do whatever I please with all my 1 dollar bills....

but really, what's your point? your post didn't help me. at all.

got the cover off and with the help of some friends got the bolt drilled out. took on a bit of water/mud it looked like, but no damage to gears or locker. headed out to get some rtv and gear oil now.

Hopefully I'll have some guards or beefier covers by the end of the month.

Thanks for the input all

also, I still haven't figured out why that bolt would have broken like that, anyone have any input as to what happend there? highway vibrations maybe snapped it? thats my best guess.

also, I still haven't figured out why that bolt would have broken like that, anyone have any input as to what happend there? highway vibrations maybe snapped it? thats my best guess.
increased pressure in diff pushed out cover a little bit and pop???

get it cleaned out reall y well...more than really well...

then clean it again

X2 on that. Bearings go south FAST when exposed to moisture.

I've got a couple d30 carriers sitting around my apartment (basement apartment, kinda humid) that I cleaned off with brakleen. When I pulled them they spun near-silently sitting in their bearing caps, only a few days later they made a significant amount of noise and a few weeks later they now have a visible coating of rust.

I'm not sure why that bolt would break, the cover isn't thick enough to put that kind of force on it, did the broken surface appear to be a shear, torque-off, or some sort of imperfection/crack that grew? My only thought is that maybe someone torqued it off by tightening it too much, or you turned it the wrong direction when trying to remove it?

I'm not sure why that bolt would break, the cover isn't thick enough to put that kind of force on it, did the broken surface appear to be a shear, torque-off, or some sort of imperfection/crack that grew? My only thought is that maybe someone torqued it off by tightening it too much, or you turned it the wrong direction when trying to remove it?
thats what i meant, it was predamaged and the pressure from inside was just enough to make it pop...just an option :dunno:

HiJack - Where is there wheeling around Vedauwoo? I have a cabin just north of Buford, and never found anything more challenging than gravel roads.

Steve

thats what i meant, it was predamaged and the pressure from inside was just enough to make it pop...just an option :dunno:
that would be my guess! last time mabe it was tightened a little too tight creating a weak spot or small crack. vibrations causing it to finally break the rest of the way!!!

Back