• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CEL 41 & 46

boostamante

NAXJA Forum User
Last night after leaving the GF's house i noticed immediately the Check Engine Light come on. I though it was odd but what ever. I then noticed my amp gauge was running in the red and if i touched the gas even just a little it would almost peg it into the red. I turned on the lights and the heater and it dropped it a bit but it was border line red at that point. I decided to drive back like that and when i got home i checked the CEL's.
got 41 and 46. Is my Alternator toast? I have had to jump start my jeep due to my battery not holding a charge for a while now. So i usually just jump it and drive it with hopes of having the alternator charge my battery as i drive. the battery usually lasts a day or two before i have to jump it again if i decide to drive the jeep.

Ok, you are getting codes telling you that your charging/electrical system isn't operating correctly, the same info your volt gauge is telling you, and you have had a problem for days/weeks/months with the battery.

What do you want to hear? Pull the battery, have it fully charged and load tested, replace it if it fails. Until that is done there is nothing else that matters.

While the battery is being charged/tested, clean your main cables, both ends. Renew your grounds.

If the battery passes, or when you have a new battery, post up and let us know if you still have a problem.

Good luck.

Ok, you are getting codes telling you that your charging/electrical system isn't operating correctly, the same info your volt gauge is telling you, and you have had a problem for days/weeks/months with the battery.

What do you want to hear? Pull the battery, have it fully charged and load tested, replace it if it fails. Until that is done there is nothing else that matters.

While the battery is being charged/tested, clean your main cables, both ends. Renew your grounds.

If the battery passes, or when you have a new battery, post up and let us know if you still have a problem.

Good luck.

Thanks Joe.

Ill have the battery checked in a few mins. WOuld a bad battery cause this kind of problem?

Yes, a bad battery can lead to an overcharging condition.

Post up what you find out, and then we can work from there.

Good luck.

Yes, a bad battery can lead to an overcharging condition.

Post up what you find out, and then we can work from there.

Good luck.

Hey joe, i swapped out a known good battery with mine and i kept getting the over charging. I took the alt off and im taking them both to the auto parts store to have them both checked. will get back to you guys with the results.

Ok.

Just a warning, some of the chain parts stores employees/machines have trouble testing the PCM regulated Nippon Denso alternators--they report good when they aren't.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Hey, so i got back a lil while ago and the Battery tested bad and so did the Alternator. Weird...

As im told, the HO jeeps have the voltage regulated by the ECM. so how do they both go bad and over charge while the engine is running?

At this point i have the option of purchasing a rebuilt alt and a used battery. Im poor so i cant afford new shit. :p

Chicken and the egg--did the alternator fail and cook the battery, or did the battery fail and the alternator died trying to charge it?

Let us know how it works out.

Good luck.

Chicken and the egg--did the alternator fail and cook the battery, or did the battery fail and the alternator died trying to charge it?

Let us know how it works out.

Good luck.

beats me...

what boggles my mind is that the ECM controls voltage. If this is true on my 91 HO, then why did it over charge?

Possibly the fault in the alternator, or possibly the PCM was attempting to force the alternator to charge a bad battery.

If you replace the two known bad components and there is still a problem then the PCM becomes suspect, but we won't know that until you have a good battery and good alternator, with good cables and grounds.

Will you be picking up the parts tomorrow?

Possibly the fault in the alternator, or possibly the PCM was attempting to force the alternator to charge a bad battery.

If you replace the two known bad components and there is still a problem then the PCM becomes suspect, but we won't know that until you have a good battery and good alternator, with good cables and grounds.

Will you be picking up the parts tomorrow?

yeah, im gonna get the parts today after work. I appreciate your help JOe.

Gracias!

Por nada, amigo.

Por nada, amigo.

GUess what? its fixed! I had my Alt rebuilt @ some local shop as well as a new battery and the problem is gone. ALt rebuild cost 30 bucks and was done in less than 1 hour. Battery was 20. Hell yes!

No more spikes in the volt gauge. woot! thanks again joe!

Glad you got it--and nice price on the alternator rebuild!

Back