• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lets talk fire extinguishers for the rigs.

jmaxj

NAXJA Forum User
1st i just gotta say DO not by the extinguisher kit from 4wheel parts, you can't get it out if you need it.

mods feel free to move this if you want i put it here cause it's not an OEM mod :D

today i witnessed a friends rig burn down, he couldn't get the extinguisher out of the bracket, two others had the same setup and they were stuck in there also, now i'm not saying this could have been saved but if he would have had an extinguisher on hand it wouldn't have been as bad, he was also a good mile or more out from our help so all we could do was watch it burn while racing to get to him.
burning.jpg

it's a total loss all because the rear driveline broke and took out a fuel line, which put fuel on the exhaust and ignited.

so..........i right now have an ABC 8lb in my XJ and an ABC kiddie extinguisher in the MJ, what have you found that works great for our possibilities and what brackets have you found that are a good quick release?

I used to be a firefighter. Most ABC extinguishers work well if you know how to use them. But the most awesome extinguisher I ever saw was one with Purple K in it instead of the regular baking soda. Yup, that is all that is in them. A 5# purple k used correctly could have put that out. The way to use them is to put the powder on the base of the fire while holding the extinguisher down as low as possible to give the powder as level as possible direction of travel. Then use a sweeping motion. You would be amazed what you can put out that way. As far as brackets go, I have never had any trouble with them. One of the things that is related to this though is the location of the extinguisher on the rig. It needs to be in a visible and easily accessible location. If it takes more than 10 seconds to get to it and get it out it needs to be relocated.

Pics of the extinguisher or bracket? Model of extinguisher? What seemed to be the problem?

Are there any concerns about the ABC becoming a solid inside the can because of vibes and such pack it in so tight that it will not come out?

I have two fire extinguishers in my Jeep. In the cab is a small 1lb extinguisher in a neoprene sleeve attached to the roll cage were I can reach it while wearing my harnesses. In the back of my jeep I have a 5lb ABC on a QUICK Fist clamp mounted to the wall by the hatch on the drivers side.

The neoprene sleeve is from a bicycle shop for water bottles on mountain bikes.

Link to QUICK Fist site.
http://www.endroad.com/page/page/711712.htm

i run two in my jeep, a smaller AB one on the passenger side pillar, and a medium size ABC one in the back cargo area. they both will come right out with a quick pull.

All I can say is never get the dinky little "recreational" fire extinguishers, tried to put an illegal trash fire I ran across out with one a while ago and it barely dented it. Unless you are recreationally attempting to put out fires get a bigger one.

I carry the kitchen sized ABC extinguishers now, hopefully those will be enough if I ever have to use one.

I used to work for Ace hardware and they carry this small bottles of Tundra fire extinguishers, no pins, just point and spray, biodegradable too. Just out two anchors in the plastic in the bag cargo with 2 metal c-claps you that use a screw driver to tighten, keep it tight enough to hold it but will slide out if needed. Should be ok for smaller stuff, no way in hell ita even affected what happened to your buddies rig.

I thought the dry chemical extinguishers were bad to use on cars. The powder gets in every thing and corrodes aluminum. I was always told to never use those and if you did use one and save the vehicle hurry and sell it afterwards.

Halon is what you want to use, read up on it being illegal to produce but fine to sell and own. Also halguard is supposed to be good. Or, just google an aviation supply store and get whatever they sell that's intended for aircrafts that doesn't leave residue.

Pics of the extinguisher or bracket? Model of extinguisher? What seemed to be the problem?

i wish i did, the extinguisher blew up and was never found and the bracket melted off the cage, but i do know the clips that held in the extinguisher would not undo and it was in an accessible place just couldn't be used.

thats scary. I'm putting a extinguisher on my center console(the back where i can grab it) and one clamped to my cage(when I build it)

I currently keep a 5lb ABC in the back of my DD. No bracket. It's wedged under the spare tire. Stays put and I can pull it out with one hand.
We have 2-2.5lb bottles on the race truck(rule book reg). One between the seats and one on the roll cage behind the cab. Both are in metal brackets that hold the tank similar to the water bottle mount on a mountain bike(except sturdier) To prevent accidents, they're zip-tied down. Grab the extinguisher and yank; breaks the zip ties.

Advice to anyone buying an extinguisher: Get a bottle with a metal valve. Plastic valve extinguishers are throw away - can't be reliably serviced.
Call around and find a shop that services fire extinguishers. They'll have them for sale used, as well as a variety of brackets. Used extinguishers are 1/3-1/2 the cost of new. I got 2 - 2.5lb and 2 - 10Lb bottles for just over $100.00
Don't bother looking for Halon. It's been declared an ozone depleting chemical and the military are the only people using it now.

I use a Kiddie 2 lb unit mounted where I can easily get at it without unbuckling. The mount is cheap plastic, and in a hurry I have simply broken it from it's mount. Sure it's throw away, but it's all of $15, so who cares?

Corrode Aluminum? Again who cares. Powder is easier to clean off than a melted vehicle is to get off the trail (or worse).

It doesn't much matter what extinguisher style you use, none are worth a dime if you can't get them out and use them effectively.

Folks, get that fire extinguisher out of the back of your XJ, you know the one that is neatly mounted way the hell back next to the hatch, and put it where you can actually get to it in 30 seconds or less. Then practice getting it in and out of it's mount so that if the opportunity presents itself, you can get to it right now.

Ron

That seriously sucks losing a rig. Time to rethink extinguisher placement in my rig. Need to place one within reach of the drivers seat, maybe a 2nd larger one somewhere else.

I have a halon extinguisher out of an Army helicopter. Probably not the best choice in the world but it will definitely stop a fire.

Problem is they need recharging after certain time period ... I use to get mine done every coupla years before the ecofreaks got them banned.

Now Im stuck with those useless, messy powder things.

In 1987, 150 countries signed the Montreal Protocol, which restricted the use of ozone-depleting chemicals. Halon 1211, used in fixed fire extinguishers, and Halon 1301, used in portable extinguishers, were found to be the largest depleters of the ozone layer in common use, making them contributors towards global warming. Consequently, Halon 1211 was banned in UK in 1993 and Halon 1301 was made illegal in 1999. According to U.K. law, all portable fire extinguishers and halon-based protection had to be decommissioned by December 31, 2003. However, in the U.K., halon fire extinguishers are still permitted in a few select areas, including in the Channel Tunnel, on aircraft and in naval vessels. This is because safety is crucial in these areas and alternative extinguishers are heavier and less effective.

I guess mere car drivers safety isnt as crucial - and less effective, personal safety eqpt for them is OK .... :rolleyes:

I thought the dry chemical extinguishers were bad to use on cars. The powder gets in every thing and corrodes aluminum. I was always told to never use those and if you did use one and save the vehicle hurry and sell it afterwards.

Halon is what you want to use, read up on it being illegal to produce but fine to sell and own. Also halguard is supposed to be good. Or, just google an aviation supply store and get whatever they sell that's intended for aircrafts that doesn't leave residue.

If you can get the BCF extinguishers still .... Its what I would have.

Problem is they need recharging after certain time period ... I use to get mine done every coupla years before the ecofreaks got them banned.

Yeah, I guess I shouldn't rely on mine but if it is good then it is sure to put out a pretty decent size fire. I may get a second unit and mount it in the rear just in case.

You should be able to convert most halons over to FE-36 which is actually more effective than Halon in non sealed environments. We use FE-36 in our portable extinguishers and then FM-200 inside our sealed server room.
Ding Ding Ding...The problem with halon is it is not very effective unless it is being used in contained areas... It has a boiling point of 26° so it dissipates very quickly unless contained(usually used for computer server rooms or aircraft engines), which it wont be in an engine bay or with windows down. PKP or Purple K is awesome but will eat up electronics like a XXXXing sack lunch. Your best bet for trail riding would be just an all purpose ABC unit

Back