• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pulling Heater Hose from WP: HOW?????!!!

NeXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody know how to get a heater hose disconnected from the WP I'm currently trying to replace...?? Also - it seems removing the power steering bulkhead on my 4.0 would make things a heck of a lot easier.. though it seems like it can't be done without a puller for the PS pulley...(??)

clues?

thanks

they seem welded on - which they probably are, practically speaking... I tried shooting a little silicone lube into the ends... hoping it would wick up and slide em off... though maybe it'll just eat the rubber... hope not.

They chemically bond to the pipe nipple beneath. There's a tool for it- you can substitute by sliding a very small screwdriver (aka pocket prybar :)) under the hose and carefully working your way around, then give it a twist and it should come right off.

Thanks! Actually I JUST got it... and amazingly/luckily that's PRECISELY the technique I used. Jeweller's screwdriver...!

the WP swap is SUCH a PITA... now I'm starting to regret not using a NEW one (just a pep boys' reman.) though it would have set me back $150 at the dealer vs the $32 I ended up paying for this one. Swapping the t-stat and fan clutch too.

Anybody know how to get a heater hose disconnected from the WP I'm currently trying to replace...?? Also - it seems removing the power steering bulkhead on my 4.0 would make things a heck of a lot easier.. though it seems like it can't be done without a puller for the PS pulley...(??)

clues?

thanks

You should probably replace it anyhow. Put a good sharp blade into your utility knife and slit longwise.

If you're not going to replace the hose, then remove the pump first. Once you have the pump up where you can move it, you can "unscrew" the hose from the nipple and pull it off that way.

Back