• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Currie TRE play?

ChuckstrPT

NAXJA Member #791
I've got a Currie Steering set up on my '01 with RE 5.5" springs, RE's lowers and drop brackets, and 35's. The steering has been feeling loose. So I finally get the wife to turn it a little for me, and it looks like the Passenger side TRE and the TRE at the pitman arm move up and down as the steering moves. I'm under the impression that those TRE's should be pretty snug in the taper bores?? The castle nuts and cotter pins are in place and seem good to go. Seems strange.
Any comments??:D

I've been going thru TREs pretty fast myself. Everything should be good and tight. Replace them. I'm assuming that Currie uses 1-ton TREs?

Unfortunately the Currie set-up is "like" stock,where the pass side is part of the draglink.

Well, I guess I'll take a closer look/feel this weekend if I can some time, and torque down those castle nuts....It really looked interesting. Looked like the TRE's actually pumped up and down, but I did not see any castle nut movement....hmm:dunno:

I just had to replace one, the end attached to the pitman. SierraFest killed it.

The steering felt loose and then I started hearing a popping. Had someone turn the wheel and there was a lot of play in the joint. checked the nut it was tight so I replaced it with my spare.

Time to order new spares.

Josh

I just had to replace one, the end attached to the pitman. SierraFest killed it.

The steering felt loose and then I started hearing a popping. Had someone turn the wheel and there was a lot of play in the joint. checked the nut it was tight so I replaced it with my spare.

Time to order new spares.

Josh

Recs for spares? or does it need to come from Currie?? So how frequently/many miles do we replace these??
Thanks for the info!

Recs for spares? or does it need to come from Currie?? So how frequently/many miles do we replace these??
Thanks for the info!

I would imagine it would not be to often. The joint I replaced was quite a few years old. I just think it's a good idea to carry spare joints. You never know and steering, no matter what setup, seems to be one of those things that will go out or become damaged sooner than later.

You can order the joints from Currie.

Josh

Back