• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix Fuel Pressure Regulator replacement

RTFM

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all - almost made it through the summer with out a big oops, - almost......
Jumped in the 89 I6 5sp Renix to go to the local stop and rob and smelt GAS!

Not a little gas - A LOT - like the engine was hemorrhaging gas - pop the hood, and it was.

More was coming our around the fuel pressure regulator than through it.
Question is, can a normal person with some basic mechanical understanding replace their own FPR?

I know the part numbers for the FPR and the PN for the O-Rung kit from Rock Auto - but how does one go about the replacement? Tug n' Pull twist and shout or do I need special tools?

Pictures follow.

100_5530Medium.jpg

100_5529Medium.jpg

All the brown in the pictures above is the baked gas - it appears to be leaking from both the large seam in the middle of the large canister body and the collar fitting leading down in to the fuel rail for the injectors. (Top picture line hedding to the pictures upper right corner)

Thanks for the assistance - RTFM

Nothing hard. You undo the quick disconnect fuel line, vac line, remove the small bolt and pull the regulator off the rail. Be sure to lube the o-ring on the new regulator. Use silicone grease or Vaseline for lube.

While not exactly brain surgery, this in one of the most difficult tasks to undertake on a Renix XJ.

1. Remove the gas cap.

2. Release the fuel pressure in the system.

3. Disconnect the battery negative cable.

4. Remove the fuel rail.

5. Remove the fuel pressure regulator retaining screws and remove the FPR from the fuel rail.

6. Install o-ring on the FPR.

7. Do 1 through 4 in reverse order (4,3,2,1).

8. Go have a beer.

I'm constantly amazed (or blessed) by the helpfullness of this community, if I could afford it - I'd buy everyone here their yearly subscription to NAXJA (and a beer or beverage of their choice).

As usual - thank you all. :wave:

@Joe Peters - Joe is there a correct procedure for releasing the pressure on the fuel system?

I'm constantly amazed (or blessed) by the helpfullness of this community, if I could afford it - I'd buy everyone here their yearly subscription to NAXJA (and a beer or beverage of their choice).

As usual - thank you all. :wave:

@Joe Peters - Joe is there a correct procedure for releasing the pressure on the fuel system?

Funny you should ask--from the FSM 90:

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. Remove the gas cap.

3. Remove the cap from the Schrader valve test port.

4. Place towels under the Schrader valve.

5. Use a small screw driver or pin punch to depress the Schrader valve to relieve pressure, sop up the fuel with the shop towels.

6. Remove shop towels and dispose of properly.

7. Replace cap on Schrader valve.

And don't forget to wear safety glasses.

Good luck.

PS--nice beauty shot. I want a set of those rims for mine.

Back