• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help running rich....please

nwo98xj

NAXJA Forum User
i will try to make it short....beast was running great till i let the kid drive it, he sunk it up the the top of the head light ...it kept running ...it has a snork, stalled while getting a tug out ....damn deep, water in my cup holders. pulled the jeep out drained the pass compartment ...pulled the air box . no water but dirty. so it started right up and it ran with a bit of a stutter for a min but evened out ....seemed to run fine but had a check engine light. as the day went on i noticed at idle it would be a little rough and stink. One of my buddys is a mechanic and he said its probably an o2 sensor so when i got home i pulled it and put in a new one and pulled the battery cable. ran fine for two days.....but then it started to do the same thing again...dooooh pulled the o2 and cleaned it. it ran fine for 50 miles then it started again again. Now i pulled the tb off and cleaned it up and the map, the IAC and the little thing on the right side of the tb. 50 miles and running rough again....sorry i know its long. i own a code reader but lent it out....dumb...trying to be a nice guy....please help any ideas would be great...

Guessing a 98 XJ based on your user name? Always provide your BASICS--year/engine/trans, etc. You did do a nice job of explaining the situation.

Things that make the XJ run rich: o2 sensor bad; exhaust leak upstream of the o2 sensor; MAT resistance too high; MAP sensor; synch sensor in distributor; the CTS; and all of the harness between the ECU/PCM and all of the above mentioned sensors and grounds.

Ok here are some tips:

1. Don't let the kid drive it again.
2. Make the kid detail it with his personal toothbrush until it shines inside and out like a jewel in a goats a**.
3. You need to get under the hood and pull ALL of the harness connections apart, clean the wires and connectors out--use an aerosol electrical cleaner, better buy a couple three cans--then treat the connections with dielectric grease. You need to do this BEFORE you try and start diagnosing things, or your DVOM readings will be bogus.
4. Now, if things are still funky, you need to start testing the individual sensors and their connection to the ECU/PCM.

Once your XJ has been submarined if you don't do the work you will be chasing gremlins for as long as you own it.

Good luck.

thanks for the tips and i am about half way through your list ....me and the kid spent two days.....8 hours a day making her shine again...believe me he will follow instructions next time. my bad his zj was down and i thought what the hell he is a good kid. He just did not listen to the part were i said to approach the hole slow and enter slow....she bounced of the revlimiter as it hit the hole.... kids.. i will let you know how things go thanks alot

Ok, hope it comes together for you pretty quick.

Good luck.

oh stats are ....
98 xj sport 4 door auto with 8.25 dana 30combo with 4.88
ected up front and lsd rear
8.5 inches of lift with drop control arm brackets
37x13x15 boggers
dick cepek DC 1 rims
bushwacker flairs
arb snorkle
otk one ton steering
advanced adapters sye and tom woods shaft
8000lb smity built winch