• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front axle replacement

Electrichorseman

NAXJA Forum User
I touched on this on another post but figured that it may need a post all its own...

I need to replace the front axels on my 88 Limited. I see that apparently the only type which is readily available are CV axles. One member stated that this is a "downgrade". Can anyone recommend better replacement axles?

Ken C.

How do you use your Jeep? DD or boony basher, or somewhere in between?

Actually it's mildly driven. In NJ a vehicle which is 25 years old or older qualifies for "Historic" registration. I have 3 years to go to qualify. Once I have the plates I can qualify for historic vehicle insurance. This is why I rebuilding the front end.

what is wrong with your stock axles?

why not go pull a set from the JY?

i get all my spare shafts from the JY/used axles :dunno:

for standard duty use and even some "mild" off road use, the C.V. axle shafts are more than adequate. I'd steer you toward u-joint shafts for anything that might involve high stress on a shaft; such as spinning a wheel until you "get traction" and suddenly load the shaft.

I carry two spare C.V. shafts to get me out of a trail breakage (still use u-joint shafts, though), but that's just 'cuz I was given them many moons ago and they're guaranteed for life at a local parts store.

Last edited:
true, if your not doing any offroading CV shafts will be fine.

Back