• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny/tranfser case swap questions

CromeY90

NAXJA Forum User
ok my 90 xj aw4 is fu@#ed im going to be changing it out this weekend was just wonder about my power and comfort option does that just change what the ecu does or is that to do with the tranny and was wondering if im swapping the tranny should i swap my transfer case from a np242 to a np 231 any and all opinions are appreciated

Not the ECU--engine control unit, but the TCU--transmission control unit.

How do you drive? Any snow on the highways in b.c.? Is that the comic strip or British Columbia? A**uming British Columbia, and there have been rumors of snow there--unless the Winter Olympics are being held--the full-time 4wd provision of the NP242 is a great asset as you don't have to keep shifting out of 4wd when you hit dry spots.

You can upgrade the NP231, wider chain and sprockets. You can't do that in the NP242 because of the full-time function. If you need to do a SYE there are more options for the NP231 than the NP242.

yea we surprisingly get a little snow in British Columbia and i will be needing a SYE in the future but i can do that to the np242 i was just more then less going on the debate about the full time 4x4 not sure if i should keep it as i dont really understand how it works differently so im not sure if i need it as noobie as that sounds

Ok, the NP231 will bind up on hard dry surfaces--even rain is not enough "slip". Think of it like a solid lock-up.

The NP242 has a built in "differential" of its own, and that allows for "slip" to prevent binding and damage to the powertrain. You can run full-time 4wd all the time, on any surface. The NP242 is great for a DD/commute rig in areas that have snow/ice. It can't be "built up" or reinforced with the larger chain and cogs because that space is occupied by the built in differential, so if you are a dedicated hard core offroader it may not be the best option.

well im certainly not a hardcore offroader but am a weekend warrior but it is also going to be my DD and we do get snow in Canada as everyone knows so the np242 will be just fine for now and the np231 can sit in storage for a bit longer

Back