• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0L Head Gasket Replacement - HELP!

ThinAir3D

NAXJA Forum User
Is there a writeup with pictures showing how to replace the head gasket in a 4.0L XJ? I need to see from start to finish - mainly the breakdown and removal of all the components on top of the head gasket.

I saw the writeup for the header replacement, but it fell short of the head gasket.

ANY help would be appreciated as I am going to attempt this myself.

Thanks!

Service manual pretty well covers all the bases. Even a crappy Haynes or Chilton will have all you need to know. I recommend using a cherry picker and removing the head with both manifolds still attached, their bolts are far easier to deal with on the bench than in the vehicle.

Agree.

Take some photos with your cell phone or digital camera as you go--nice reference for when you are reassembling.

Keep things like the pushrods and head bolts in order. Use some cardboard and punch holes in it, stick them in the cardboard in order.

Good luck.

Is there a writeup with pictures showing how to replace the head gasket in a 4.0L XJ? I need to see from start to finish - mainly the breakdown and removal of all the components on top of the head gasket.

I saw the writeup for the header replacement, but it fell short of the head gasket.

ANY help would be appreciated as I am going to attempt this myself.

Thanks!

No write up, but here's photos from the time we changed my head and exhaust manifold.

http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y33/andysteiner/off road/Cylinder Head and Exhaust manifold/

Back