• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacement OEM style shackes that aren't CROWN?!

Banditt007

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking for replacement shackles w/ bushings installed, that are from a company other than CROWN (P/N 52000507). Any sources?

I read some bad things about their parts especially their rubber bushings. If you have experience w/ their bushings speak up. I hope they are good quality b/c if i go with them vs another company i can save myself some decent cash. (need new shackles, bump stops, leaf spring bushings ect).

I havent had any problems with any of their bushings ive used. alot of the parts youd get from a dealer come thru crown nowadays.

Important tip for ANY leaf spring bushings--after replacing don't torque the bolts/nuts until you have the full weight of the vehicle resting on the springs. Doing otherwise seems to have the uncanny ability of shortening the bushing's life span.

Yeah i hear ya on the install. I fully understand having the bushing locked in "relaxed" at its static ride height, not having it try to twist double what its supposed to =)

This is why i'm taking the reviews w/ a grain of salt only b/c i know its common for people to tighten down bushings at full droop, then drive around for 6 months and complain that the bushings are toast.

I just did my leaf bushings a week or so ago. The Naxja crew helped me with that fun experience, but to the point. I used MOOG bushings when I did them. Not sure if they have OEM shackles with bushings already installed.

I have some used MJ shackles you can have for shipping. They'll boost yer rear about 1/2" to 1".

The bushings are pretty much toast, but the offer is out there. PM if interested.

I have some used MJ shackles you can have for shipping. They'll boost yer rear about 1/2" to 1".

The bushings are pretty much toast, but the offer is out there. PM if interested.

Another reason I love this club and forum! Way to go ParadiseXJ!

Hey thanks for the replies and the offer, paradiseXJ,...for now i placed my order and have some crown parts on their way. Shackles, bump stops and both leaf spring eye bushings. If they suck i promise i'll report back :wave1:

I have crown heavy duty leaf springs and bushings and I've not a problem with them

back from the dead! and a little update! Not doing so good!

Installed OME medium 2" leaf springs, and pressed in crown bushings for the front and rear eyes of the spring, and used a crown oem style replacement shackle.

Well...the leaf spring bushings look good, and look like natural rubber..you know a little dry looking w/ that white powder on them when they are new. those bushings are doing great so far (about 2 weeks or so since install).

However the SHACKLES are CRAP, the upper bushing of the shackle (that comes already pressed in) has the rubber sliding out of the outer metal sleeve of the bushing. So basically the bond between the rubber, and outside metal sleeve of the bushing is garbage, and not working. So if you look at my rear shackles the rubber is smooshed all the way to one side and sticking out of the shackle. The shackle is all the way to the other side of the 'box' of the unibody and the rubber is sticking out as much as it can on the other side. Also b/c of this the metal of the shackle is now grinding against the uni-body 'box'.

I also noted that this 'rubber' unlike the crown leaf spring bushings, is that very dark black glossy/shiny/oily feeling 'rubber' and reminds me more of a polyurethane-ish type material than natural rubber. I had my doubts right off the bat and they've been confirmed.

I have found another company that makes an oem style rear shackle with bushing installed. Omix-ada (P/N 18280.19) However there only seems to be one picture of this shackle no matter where you look on the internet and it appears to be a duplicate of the materials used in the crown product.

Also should i call crown, or quadratec (who i ordered from), to get a refund? Crown says their parts have a 1 year/12k mile warranty. I have a good feeling if i get another set of shackles from crown the same thing will happen.

Does anyone have, or can measure the O.D and length of the OEM bushing in the shackle? I was thinking of pushing out the garbage bushings, and finding a good rubber bushing and pressing that in. Like i said i have a feeling both a new set of crowns, or the omix-ada's will leave me in the same position...screwed

Thanks!

PS: I do not want poly, on my suspensions i much prefer the way rubber works compared to poly.

Definitely call and arrange to return the items for a refund. When enough bad parts come back through for a refund the retailer will figure it out and stop carrying those items, even if the manufacturer doesn't care or won't do anything about the problem.

Back