• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Funky tire charactoristic...

SanDiegoOverland

NAXJA Forum User
Just put some brand-newish goodyear wranglers on my 1992 XJ. It had an old set of tires on it before now, and I wasn't having this issue, so I think its tire related.

-Going down the freeway, it feels like the rearend is wiggling. Meaning, its shimmying from left to right at least a degree or two, in a fairly quick pattern. Almost like speed wobbles on a skate board.

No steering input, tracking straight. It's a very disconcerting feeling non-the-less. Makes me want to check the torque on my ubolts to be sure the axle isn't shifting. (its that noticeable)

I have an idea that this is probably just the tires following the grooves in the road, or pulling themselves in and out of a those grooves.

This doesn't happen on city streets, or freeways with asphalt. Tires are very smooth riding otherwise.

Anything I can do to minimize like higher or lower inflation psi's, etc?

thanks!

1992 XJ 4.0L aw4/np231/d30/d35/225-75R16's

check for bent wheel...

my jeep "shivers" the faster i go and is due to a bent rim on my back right...

might be worth looking into to check all your wheels for trueness and elimintate that possibility

a severly out of balance tire on rear might give the same effect

an option to help ya locate it, rotate your tires front to back, keep track of what tires went where(because ya might forget) and see where the shake moves to, now you know which wheel/tire to look at

bent wheel,balancing issue, wheel not seated properly, loose lugs, defective tires, etc...

Really good points, but checking the axle u-bolts and spring centering pins isn't a bad idea either.

As far as defective tires, drive and get them hot, then jack up the rear end and rotate the tires while observing the tread face--watch for any "S" curves in the tread.

I've had tires from two different sets go out of round-similar complaints. But, you did mention on the freeway. I live near I80 and I81 in PA. Over the past few years, when repairing the roadway, trying to save the concrete, they've started patching the problem spots, but when they're done, they take a milling machine and mill longitudinal rain grooves into the surface. Makes for a very smooth ride, but causes a side to side squirm, which is rather odd until you get used to it. Symptoms as you've described. Motorcycle riders hate it. Just a thought...

First thing though, check the torque. I've had some nuts rammed on, while others are almost loose. Could deform a steel wheel. Nowadays, no one touches my nuts...

Remember, this is a family-orientated forum! :D

haha!!:eeks1:

yeah, its more of a squirm than anything. Very much NOT a hop, or shimmy, or vibration, or clunk, etc...

this is a fully horizontal movement, not unlike yaw in an airplane. Its like you're quickly tapping the rudder pedals left and right so that the very rear of the plane twitches a degree or two each way.

I'm gonna do a fastener check tomorrow morning, none-the-less...

Thanks guys! Definitely appreciate the feedback.

Check air pressure .. They filled the wifes tires on one side at 35 and the other at 30..Also they could have to much air in them for the weight of your jeep..I have to run mine(33/15) at 25# or she is all over the road with nothing in the rear..
HTH

Back