• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Identifying Ford 8.8 axles (LSD or not)

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
NAXJA Member
I had asked on the forums several weeks back if there is an identifying mark on the Ford 8.8 tags to indicate Limited Slip. No one knew for sure.

During some research I learned that if there is an L inthe gear ratio on the tag, it is LS.

IE: 410 is not, 4L10 is. 373 is not, 3L73 is.

Apparently some of the Explorers also have that LSD option indicated on the door sticker. I never thought to look there.

Hope this information helps someone.

***CAVEAT...I read this information on several different pages/forums from Google Searches. If the same info comes up from that many different sources, I tend to take it as fact. I have not been to the boneyard to search in person yet.

I wouldn't buy anything without popping the cover to inspect it anyways so you will visually see if its LSD or not. Be careful with tags. When I was at the scrap yards looking for my 8.8 there were lots that didn't match up.

This is correct - an L instead of a space in the ratio means it left the factory with an LSD.

Whether it still has one, what condition it's in, etc is a complete crapshoot. I mostly saw 3L55 and 3L73, very few 4L10.

I would always pull the cover - not only to check for the LSD, but to make sure that it has the gear ratio the tag says and also to check the bearings and gear condition.

Back