• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear sway bar removal

I’ve got a 2000 XJ and I'm about to install a 4” lift. I want to make sure that there are no problems if I remove the front sway bar until I have time to put the lift and JKS quick disconnects on. I don't know the XJ very well.
icon_redface.gif

Last edited:
No problema, but be aware that you will lose some handling through the lift and losing the rear sway bar.

It is something you need to keep in mind when driving, and you will likely find it necessary to slow down a bit more on corners than you are used to. Also, if you tow, keep its absence in mind.

I edited my post because it doesn't look like I have a rear sway bar.

Never mind, I found my rear sway bar, I had to get a little further under the Jeep to see it. Looks like fun to get off.

Last edited:
No problema, but be aware that you will lose some handling through the lift and losing the rear sway bar.

It is something you need to keep in mind when driving, and you will likely find it necessary to slow down a bit more on corners than you are used to. Also, if you tow, keep its absence in mind.

Joe, are you talking about my front sway bar?

What do you mean by "lift springs"?

He means "stiffer" springs.

Just saw your edit. No, my post was based on the rear swaybar.

I have driven on the highway a couple times when I forgot to reattach the quick disconnects. Felt like a fool when I noticed it later, but I didn't notice it handling any different, I have 4.5 lift springs in the front.

I edited my post because it doesn't look like I have a rear sway bar.

Never mind, I found my rear sway bar, I had to get a little further under the Jeep to see it. Looks like fun to get off.

He means "stiffer" springs.

Just saw your edit. No, my post was based on the rear swaybar.

I have driven on the highway a couple times when I forgot to reattach the quick disconnects. Felt like a fool when I noticed it later, but I didn't notice it handling any different, I have 4.5 lift springs in the front.

Okay, thanks for the clarification. I’m not going to do any highway or city driving until I get my lift on so I think I‘ll be fine taking off the front and rear sway bar. Most of my speeds will be 35 mph or under until I get the lift on. My lift kit involves ARB front springs with a spacer, so that would address the “lift springs” question.

just a quick question and sorry for the jack but seemed like an appropriate place. is it normal for the passenger (frame side) sway bar mount to be further back than the driver side?

I have the OME/DPG 4 inch lift and both sway bars are installed. I do have quick disconnects on the front bar. I tow a 3,000 lbs boat and don't like going slow through the mountains. No regrets about leaving the rear bar installed. IMHO removing the rear sway bar to gain a little articulation is not worth the loss of handling. Others disagree and that is fine. My XJ is built to please me. In addition, with selectable lockers front and rear a little articulation loss can be dealt with. With both bars installed and a 4 inch lift some additional sway is felt, but it is minor.

I did drive a friends lifted XJ with no sway bars. It has a 6 inch lift and 35s. IMHO it was iffy to drive that way. It leaned way to much for me and I would hate to drive it in a crosswind. It is just my opinion and others drive them that way, but I did not like it.

Last edited:
I wouldn't run without a front (it's fine, till you have to make an emergency maneuver) but the rear is damn near worthless, I could flex it with my bare hands. When I lifted I was going to reinstall it but when it came time to get the end link mounts pushed over the U-bolts and aligned properly I was far too lazy and just ripped the whole thing out instead.

With the stiffer than stock lift springs, I never even noticed a difference.

IMO, the rear is pretty worthless.

I've towed my grandpa's 2500 pound boat with just the front, and it was fine.

Currently, I have zero sway bars.

Thanks everyone for all your help. I’ve talked to several XJ owners who said they couldn’t tell a difference when the rear sway bar was removed. I think one guy even said that his Cherokee (older model) didn’t even come factory with one. I’m keeping the front sway bar and running JKS quick disconnects. I’ve got a DPG 4” OME HYBRID kit going on as we speak.

He has chosen...wisely.

Based on DPG and OME reps you should be very happy with the lift.

Good luck.

PS--don't forget to torque the leaf springs with the full weight of the vehicle on the springs--the bushings will last longer that way.

He has chosen...wisely.

Based on DPG and OME reps you should be very happy with the lift.

Good luck.

PS--don't forget to torque the leaf springs with the full weight of the vehicle on the springs--the bushings will last longer that way.

I did my research, and the DPG/OME combination seemed best for ride quality. Thanks for the torque tip!

Back