• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Track Bar issues

bhicks

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 6" Full Traction Long Arm kit. I am currently running 35" tires with 12" travel 16.5-28.5" shocks. I have been getting a lot of binding and poping coming from the Trac Bar that came with the FT kit. The axle end is a heim joint and the frame end is a bushing. It's the bushing end that causing all the noise. My question is this: Could I cut off the bushing end, tap the tube, thread or weld on another heim joint? This would give me heims at either end of the trac bar. Would I have any issues with this set up?

You shouldn't have a problem with that if you have enough length left over. You'll just have to turn down some misalignment spacers so it will fit in the frame side tracbar bracket.

I have a 6" Full Traction Long Arm kit. I am currently running 35" tires with 12" travel 16.5-28.5" shocks. I have been getting a lot of binding and poping coming from the Trac Bar that came with the FT kit. The axle end is a heim joint and the frame end is a bushing. It's the bushing end that causing all the noise. My question is this: Could I cut off the bushing end, tap the tube, thread or weld on another heim joint? This would give me heims at either end of the trac bar. Would I have any issues with this set up?

Are you sure the axle bracket is intact / the hole isn't wallowed out?
I'd look closer at exactly what the problem is... lots of people use bushings on the axle side without issue. There is probably a better / easier fix than what you are talking about.

Other than that... probably an increase in road noise / vibration & the ride might get hairier but shouldn't be a safety issue.

I know they aren't quite heims, but I run RE flex joints on both ends of my trackbar, no ill effects. I've seen quite a few people do it.

I appreciate the info guys. I know that my axle side mount is solid. When I got back from running the Rubicon, I had almost 1/2" of play in the bushing. The inside of the bushing was ovaled out. I know the Rubi can be hard on a rig, but that was the third bushing I have gone through in 2 years. I'm sick of replacing it at $50 a pop when I can get a heim joint for less. I have a spare trac bar that I'm going to try this out on so if it doesn't work I didn't damage the one that currently on my rig. I will repost and update how things go.

I appreciate the info guys. I know that my axle side mount is solid. When I got back from running the Rubicon, I had almost 1/2" of play in the bushing. The inside of the bushing was ovaled out. I know the Rubi can be hard on a rig, but that was the third bushing I have gone through in 2 years. I'm sick of replacing it at $50 a pop when I can get a heim joint for less. I have a spare trac bar that I'm going to try this out on so if it doesn't work I didn't damage the one that currently on my rig. I will repost and update how things go.

Ok, 10-4, go for it and post results. :gag:

Heims are great on both ends of the track bar. You will actually feel like you have a solid connection between your steering wheel and your tires. When you turn the wheel, your tires will actually respond.

Another option is to cut the bushing side off and use a uni-ball cup and uni-ball, that way you don't have to mess with the tapping portion of the job. I have this setup on the track bar of my daily driver (1" uniball on one end and a 3/4" heim on the opposite end) and it is nice and tight.

Chris

Another option is to cut the bushing side off and use a uni-ball cup and uni-ball, that way you don't have to mess with the tapping portion of the job. I have this setup on the track bar of my daily driver (1" uniball on one end and a 3/4" heim on the opposite end) and it is nice and tight.

Chris

Any chance you could post up a pick of that?

i havent ran any trails harder than the miller jeep trail yet(its pretty new) with my Iron Rock OffRoad track bar but it is a bushing on the axle side and frame side and i have no complaints. this trackbar is 100% angus beef!

ps, idk why your spending 50 bucks for a set of track bar bushings, these ones are polyurathane and are $2.50 a piece or 5 dollars for both sides =)

Last edited:
i have heims at either end of my track bar on my WJ setup, very nice setup i'd recommend it.

i havent ran any trails harder than the miller jeep trail yet(its pretty new) with my Iron Rock OffRoad track bar but it is a bushing on the axle side and frame side and i have no complaints. this trackbar is 100% angus beef!

ps, idk why your spending 50 bucks for a set of track bar bushings, these ones are polyurathane and are $2.50 a piece or 5 dollars for both sides =)

Because the guys at Ful-Traction are a-holes and like to charge ridiculous amounts of $$$ for stupid little parts that are faulty. I tried the RE bushing but it didn't quite fit and was much worse. I also tried some aftermarket ones I got off the internet for $5 a piece and they were a little too big. Full-Traction charges $35 for the bushing (should cost about $2-3) and then with shipping and tax it is right at $50. I'm done replacing that part and I'm done working with Full-Traction. I need to go with something beefier.

Because the guys at Ful-Traction are a-holes and like to charge ridiculous amounts of $$$ for stupid little parts that are faulty. I tried the RE bushing but it didn't quite fit and was much worse. I also tried some aftermarket ones I got off the internet for $5 a piece and they were a little too big. Full-Traction charges $35 for the bushing (should cost about $2-3) and then with shipping and tax it is right at $50. I'm done replacing that part and I'm done working with Full-Traction. I need to go with something beefier.

=) i have a full traction track bar with a tie rod end on theframe side i'll sell ya for a good deal ;) lol j/k

i hear ya when your saying something beefier. so far i love my iron rock offroad track bar, that thing is 1.25" cold rolled solid steel =)

Back