• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine Knock, P0161 O2 Sensor Location

srpope80

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,

I'm trying to go through ans sort out a few issues. I have the following XJ:

2001 XJ Limited - 117,000 Miles
4x4
4.0 Liter

I am getting a decent engine knock or valve click on startup, not sure which, that dissapears after the engine warms up. I also have a P0118 and a P0161 code which is an O2 Sensor Bank 2 Position 2. Which one is this?

I have a 2000 FSM and in the Exhaust system diagram it doesn't label the positions.

Also, do you think the knock is being caused by the O2 sensor? Has anyone seen this? I just completed an entire cooling system overhaul and it is running cool as can be. Love this Jeep; couldn't be happier so far. It just needed a little TLC; and still does....

-Scott

Make sure you are using a decent oil filter with a silicone anti-drain back valve. Some CHEAPO oil filters use nitrile rubber anti-drain back valves, and in our 4.0s with the filters either vertical or horizontal maintaining oil in the filter is critical to prevent dry starts.

Some light filter reading: http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/index.html

Joe,

Thanks for the email JOE! That is NOT light reading about filters!!! What brand do you trust the most? It said the Napa ones used Nitrile drainback valves?

Talyn,

It might be a valve click. It basically soulds like someone is tapping a metal bucket at a high rate of speed (RPMs). Then it goes away after engine warm up.

I use Wix or NAPA Gold--Wix makes them for NAPA.

Back