• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Battery cable not tight on the terminal

jeeperguy21

NAXJA Forum User
Every few days, my '99 XJ won't start because the connection on the negative terminal on the battery isn't good enough. The strange thing is, the clamp on the negative terminal is already as tight as I can get it, but it still is too big. I can twist the clamp on the terminal by hand, and I have to do it until it gets a good enough connection so that I can start the heep.

I'm not sure how it has come to this point... but it is super annoying and I would like to prevent this from happening. What's the easiest solution? New battery cables? Some sort of metal sleeve on top of the terminal to make it "thicker?" Let me hear your ideas and suggestions.

You need to get the clamp to close further, I'm assuming it's one of the big soft lead ones, remove the bolt and using a thin file take material off both sides so it closes further. That would be the easiest. Next step, replace the clamp or the clamp and battery cable.

That's a great idea. I'll give that a try and let you know if that works.

Or just replace the clamp outright. I don't like lead clamps...

Potential solutions:

1) Adjust the clamp using the file (as RichP mentioned)
2) Adjust the post with some variety of shim (store-bought kit, sheet metal, and I've even used aluminum foil in a pinch)
3) Replace the clamp and/or cable outright (preferred)

common problem with most jeeps with age. I have noticed this in my 97 xj, 99 xj and 01 TJ.

to combat this you can:

I have replaced with new terminals. Fixes problem obviously. Lead clamps fatigue over time and seem to not seat and make a solid connection.

Clean existing terminal with wire brush and also battery terminal and spray with battery anti corrosion (red spray). Ususally makes new termials new again.

Sleeve idea as mentioned above.

Ususally peace of mind is to get new terminals. Makes loose connection problems solved and also allows the jeep to start with full juice of battery through the much better connection. I go with brass terminals: cheap and effective. While you are at it add those terminal pads under the battery terminals if you do not have them. With prevent corrosion and terminal contact problems in the future.

Pretty much the best corrosion protection you can use is something you can make yourself:

Take 1/2 cup of petroleum jelly, melt in a double boiler using just enough heat to liquiefy the stuff.
Stir in 3-4 tablespoons of baking soda. Not RPT NOT "baking powder" - that's different stuff!
Mix thoroughly.

Pour into an amber jar or bottle and let cool. While it's cooling, disassemble and thoroughly clean the battery connexions. Don't leave any corrosion in there!

Assemble the battery connexions. Using an acid brush, coat the battery terminal and clamp with the stuff you just made. Store unused portion in a relatively cool place, in the dark.

Reapply:
- Inspect and reapply every six months PRN.
- After cleaning the engine bay using any degreaser.
- After a significant amount of deep-water fording.

WHY IT WORKS:
The petroleum jelly forms an airtight coating over the terminal, it also repels water and is relatively proof against sulphuric acid. The baking soda is a milk alkaline, and will neutralise the acid if/when it contacts the stuff. Typically, reapplication is necessary because either the jelly was "degreased off" or because the baking soda has done its job and needs to be replaced.

If you disassemble the terminal, clean it before reassembly and recoat afterwards.

Additional protection can be had by using silcone (RTV is okeh) to stick a penny between each terminal and the vent or cap. The penny will corrode before the terminal does - just pop off the dregs and replace it when the penny is badly corroded (old military trick.)

Additional protection can be had by using silicone (RTV is okeh) to stick a penny between each terminal and the vent or cap. The penny will corrode before the terminal does - just pop off the dregs and replace it when the penny is badly corroded (old military trick.)

make sure you find a pre-1982 one cent piece (penny) as the composition changed from copper to copper plated zinc at that time--and copper is what you want for a sacrificial metal.

I found a couple of washers under the nut on the pinch bolt did the trick (stops the nut burying itself in the lead its tightened) but lead clamps are rubbish & the real answer is (as has already been suggested) to replace them, ideally, (IMHO) with brass ones.

I found a couple of washers under the nut on the pinch bolt did the trick (stops the nut burying itself in the lead its tightened) but lead clamps are rubbish & the real answer is (as has already been suggested) to replace them, ideally, (IMHO) with brass ones.

5-90 builds some nice cable replacements if you want good ones.

If you can't spring for a new cable set and clamps, hit your local auto electric shop- an outfit here put Deka brass clamps with wing nuts (like 5-90's) and copper cable lugs on my heep for $10 out the door. I did not care for the OE molded lead setup.

5-90 builds some nice cable replacements if you want good ones.

+1

I just bought a set from him last week and they're great! I'd recommend them all day long since if you're already in there for a fix, might as well do a great upgrade.

The brass/bronze terminals are marine terminals. Look in boating supply if your local auto parts store doesn't stock them.

Also, Zinc makes a better sacrificial metal then copper. Blocks of zinc are on powerheads/rudders, anything metal on boats in salt water.

On my battery the neg post is just slightly smaller than the positive and the cable end terminals are sized to match. sounds like someone has a positive clamp on the neg terminal. I would just replace the terminals. They are about 5 bucks for the pair.

Bin away - just catching up (story of my life!): G_Pcountry makes a good point, worth a look (they should be marked) especially if you've not had the Jeep long, or its history's uncertain.

Yep, zinc sacrificial anodes are awesome stuff.

I picked up a couple sets of brass battery terminals at autozone this morning, need one set for the M54 and figured the other set will go onto whichever jeep needs them first. 5 or 6 bucks out the door.

Back