• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

About to lift...Shock Survey

Bleckers3

NAXJA Forum User
I have read all the posts, and all the reviews. So don't flame me.

I have a 1998 XJ w/ auto and 8.25 axle. Not that it makes a huge difference but I just did Front U joints, Axle seals, Rotors and Pads. Really made a difference. I also have a rear diff service planned and assesing if I want to do a liberty rear brake swap.

I have most of the parts for an RE 3.5 lift. Just need some fresh U bolts, extended brake lines, JKS disconects, and SHOCKS!

Option A: Get RC hydro 8000 with the expectation of using them a year.

Option B: Get Bilstine 5100's sized for 4.5 lift to allow for growth.

Option C: Get OME shocks.

Option D: Any other advice.

I typically buy only the best parts. I am somewhat anal about that. However, I have visions of making it a 4.5 lift in a year so I don't want to spend $300 ish twice considering the coin i'd need if I went with claytons etc.

Let me have it.

I would suggest JK take-off shocks for that size of lift. They are cheap, comfortable, readily available, and won't make you cry to throw them away in a year.

Sounds like you have the dough, so i'd go Bilstein 5150's if it were me. But considering my limited cash flow i'm very happy with my doetsch tech 8000 pre-runners. -B

get the longer bilstein or OME LT shocks and bumpstop it to prevent over compression till you get to 4.5". Do it once and do it right to save yourself cash.

I started with RE monotubes in the rear and they were pretty decent. I switched to OME when I moved the shock mounts up about 4" (even with the axle tube) and they are very good.

I wouldn't do option A, I would do B or C. Seems like you have cash, why not do a 4.5" lift to start with? Do it right the first time, especially if you are going to move the shock mounts up on the rear axle.

I went with the OME's and couldn't be happier. I liked the ride so much that I have them on my LJ now as well

Bigger isn't better. 4.5" is a big lift, and that's when you start needing long arms. The control arm angles with shortarms are terrible with 4.5". No matter what shocks you use, the ride will be shit and a lot of shock will transfer to the unibody.

I like the JK take off idea. I can burn 30-50 for those in the short run. I do feel the bilsteins are the way to go.

I agree with the over bump stopp'in to limit over compression. I would need decent bumps anyhow before cutting.

As for 4.5 being too much..you may be right. However I think it might be the perfect height for a long arm setup (claytons) as i had mentioned. I like the lower COG, and frankly the smoother ride.

I wish OME had better specs.

Oh, and I don't want to go 4.5 right away, because I may enjoy the 3.5 enough. Also The added cost of Long arms (900 ish) Wheels and tires ( 1200+) and 4.56 gears....and if I do gears the arb's will go in....

Thus, 3.5 with stock gearing for now. And then provided I don't have a catastropinca failure ( engine, etc) 4.5 in a year or 2 down the line. I am knocking on wood as I post this.....

Back