• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need a frame reinforcement suggestion

thethinginthewoods

NAXJA Forum User
So as some of you know, I have a massive rip through my frame between the two lower steering box bolts. I am going to get it welded up properly, but I need help figuring out which frame strengthening kit to use.

JKS- comes with inner & outer weld on plates for the driver & passenger side frame rail, shim/spacer thing for steering box, plus all necessary hardware. ~$195
http://store.jksmfg.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=SBS&Store_Code=JKS01&Category_Code=Steering_Brake

Rusty's- looks to be the same as the JKS kit, doesn't seem to say whether or not it comes with the shim/spacer or any hardware. ~$189
http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=962&Category_Code=ste

HD Engineering- A complete frame strengthener from the lower control arm mounting bracket to the front bumper. Sold as a pair for driver and passenger outer frame. I am leaning towards this kit, but It doesn't come with the inner frame pieces or a shim/spacer or any hardware. So basically I would have to purchase this PLUS one of the other kits. ~$105
http://www.hdoffroadengineering.com/collections/frontpage/products/xj-front-frame-stiffeners

(I have left out C-ROK, TNT customs and some others because they appear to only make the plating kits for the driver's side frame rail and I want to beef up both side equally.)

I am a broke college kid, so I am trying to do this correctly and professionally as possible without spending a s***-ton on kits and labor. I don't know how to weld yet, so I have numerous friends and fellow Jeepers that are proffesional welders that have offered to weld it for cheap a.k.a. beer plus a little $$$.

So any recommendations?

Well I know my buddy cut out the section of uni-body behind the steering box and welded in a piece of rectangle box steel that was like .25" wall I think. Then drilled holes so he could slide the bolts through the bumper plate trough the new steel box to the steering box itself. Its held up to some wheeling so far so good. Me myself will not be doing much there for now. I do have frame stiffeners and a steering box brace for now as well as longer bumper brackets.

The CROK kits is great. You get the kit for the drivers side and just the plate for the passenger side. I really liked the replacement spacer and bolts.

I would go with The HD Off Road engineering plates and add from there if you need to.

I'd either get the JKS kit or just pick up a couple of feet of 1/8" plate and make your own to save a few bucks. With a drill and a grinder, you could easily wip up front stiffeners.

I'd either get the JKS kit or just pick up a couple of feet of 1/8" plate and make your own to save a few bucks. With a drill and a grinder, you could easily wip up front stiffeners.

yeah but supporting clubs sponsors is a good thing.

Moved.

I think you'll get some more opinions in the Mod Tech forum.

Thanks, I remembered I was in the wrong section right after I hit submit.

I like the JKS & C-ROK kit so I think I am going to get the HD engineering kit and add the inner pieces from one of those two. I am all for building & not buying, but I need this done PROPERLY and don't like backwoods redneck fabrication. So with my lack of welding skills, milling and cutting equipment, I will not be doing anything custom of my own, other than fixing the existing tear.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll start a build/fix thread when i get around to starting this project.

Back