• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another Transmission Removal problem

ifixit8

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all.

my rig is
4.0 5speed 4x4 not sure what transfercase

I have done much searching and researching on the total process and have hit a big bump. Tranny will not let go from the motor!!!! I know that every bolt has been removed because I looked it over many times, and it is seperated from the motor about a 1/4 of an inch. I have read that some just gave it a good pull and i have done that to the point where the motor still moves too! I have pulled a bunch of bolts off the motor and trans bellhousing. 2 for the cps, 2 e-12 torx, 2 starter, 3 facing the front of the jeep, 3 heavy duty bolts from the bottom and drivers side (one i believe was next to the cps) I must still be missing 1 or something. any thoughts would be great!!! I really need to get this thing going, it's been day 2 on it already and Most would have it done by now.

Is the exhaust still on and hangin on the tranny mount? Speed sensor still connected? Transfer case linkage?

Check out this website that has manuals you can download. It gives very detailed instructions on how to work on your entire Jeep. Hopefully it will help.

POSTING OF LINKS TO COPYRIGHTED MATERIALS IS AGAINST NAXJA RULES.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check out this website that has manuals you can download. It gives very detailed instructions on how to work on your entire Jeep. Hopefully it will help.

POSTING OF LINKS TO COPYRIGHTED MATERIALS IS AGAINST NAXJA RULES.

Thanks for that link!!! downloading it now. hopefully it won't take to long. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Just because it's been posted on the 'net does *NOT* mean that it's legal.

Just because it's been posted on the 'net does *NOT* mean that it's legal.

WOW Really, you had to go there??? I didn't think it was that big of a deal. thanks for not helping with the issue i started this thread on. And yet i bet you don't download a single thing like music or other free programs that are on the net for yourself! how about we stay to the topic.

My apologies for posting up material that is supposedly copyrighted. If I had know I wouldn't have posted it. You can also search for the factory manuals and buy a CD on ebay if you want to feel more legal. This is what I did before I was provided with the link. But it did come from somewhere overseas, so I'm guessing I paid $10 for an illegally copied CD.

JPs01XJ ---- no biggie. i did look through it but about the only thing that I didn't do was support the motor with a jack on the oil pan. I didn't do that because i have been taught/ told many times to never do that. but maybe that is what I need???

WOW Really, you had to go there??? I didn't think it was that big of a deal. thanks for not helping with the issue i started this thread on. And yet i bet you don't download a single thing like music or other free programs that are on the net for yourself! how about we stay to the topic.
BITE YOUR TONGUE. Open your trap again, and you'll probably take a short vacation. This site will not be used to share illegal downloads.

And for the record, no. I don't download illegal crap. Period.

If you didn't pull the starter, there is a bolt through the starter into the bellhousing.

You haven't listed what year you have...... early 4.0 5spds have an internal slave, later models have an external slave cylinder (split is around 93.)

<scratches head> What are you using to pull the transmission back? Transmission jack? Floor jack with a transmission saddle? Floor jack with a couple of boards? It's possible that you're binding up in the pilot bushing/bearing if you're not pulling straight back. Does it feel like a hard stop, or does it seem like it's just getting harder to pull back?

One other possibility... make sure you support the front of the engine under the oil pan. Once the transmission starts to move back, the front of the engine will want to start to tip down and that may also lead to binding up.

It's possible that you're binding up in the pilot bushing/bearing if you're not pulling straight back. Does it feel like a hard stop, or does it seem like it's just getting harder to pull back?

One other possibility... make sure you support the front of the engine under the oil pan. Once the transmission starts to move back, the front of the engine will want to start to tip down and that may also lead to binding up.
This is my bet. If you don't have the transmission and engine supported equally (probably saying it wrong) the shaft will be angled slightly, you'd be surprised just how much it binds.

You haven't listed what year you have...... early 4.0 5spds have an internal slave, later models have an external slave cylinder (split is around 93.)

<scratches head> What are you using to pull the transmission back? Transmission jack? Floor jack with a transmission saddle? Floor jack with a couple of boards? It's possible that you're binding up in the pilot bushing/bearing if you're not pulling straight back. Does it feel like a hard stop, or does it seem like it's just getting harder to pull back?

DING DING DING YOU ARE THE WINNER!!!!!!! lol and that is why you are the administrator to the club. I supported the motor and worked it back. also I am very limited with $$$ so I'm using a floor jack with boards. maybe I need a trans jack if they aren't to much?? I did finally get it out and to see the throwout bearing is ok, just a little loose than new. But the cltuch was just about done, at the first set of rivets. And it's a 94 with external slave. thanks for the info/help.

I hear ya on the $$$.

If you've got a standard floor jack with a removable saddle, you can get a transmission saddle for it (Harbor Freight has one that works so-so to decent.) That's a bunch cheaper that buying a whole transmission jack. The problem is that it is taller than a normal trans jack, if you're working on a stock height XJ, that may be a bit of an issue.

I should also point out that mechanical abilities are a bit less important for admins here than a few other skills. Take the knowledge, and pass it on. BTW, I've got a 94 with a 5spd here as well.

I hear ya on the $$$.

If you've got a standard floor jack with a removable saddle, you can get a transmission saddle for it (Harbor Freight has one that works so-so to decent.) That's a bunch cheaper that buying a whole transmission jack. The problem is that it is taller than a normal trans jack, if you're working on a stock height XJ, that may be a bit of an issue.

I should also point out that mechanical abilities are a bit less important for admins here than a few other skills. Take the knowledge, and pass it on. BTW, I've got a 94 with a 5spd here as well.

Ill have to look into the harbor freight then. I am lucky to have about 4.5 inch lift on mine. is yours a 2 door?

XJ-moab.jpg

Back