• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

please help me i cant sleep (overheating)

HIGHLIFEXJ

NAXJA Forum User
hi. i have a 94 xj 244 k on it automatic trans stock cooling system,
4.5 inch lift 31x10.5 tires 3.55 gears

here is my problem i live in colorado and i was towing my 600lbs trailer up the mountain trying to keep up with my buddie that has a 800hp cumins(i know it was dumb) and the temp on my cluster got above 210 way over, it was just about to touch the red a couple times. turning on the heat lowered the temp a lil maybe ten degres. then a small puff of blue smoke puffed out the back when the tranny kicked down wile i was doin about 55mph. then a big puff ,then a smoke trail. now it was not coolant comming from the tail pipe(head gasket)it was rite below the center of the bellhousing maybe a rearmain seal.... so i pulled off and let the truck cool down checked the oil level and it was a lil low(half a quart) so i topped off with lukas oil treatment started back on the road with my buddie pulling the trailer no leaks .... now heres where it gets weird! now i have a overheating prob but only at speeds over45 mph . anytime i stab the trottle the temp goes up and does not come down untill i slow down or till i turn the heat on.

what ive tryed
1.replace cooling clutch fan with 3 10inch hayden E-fans 2 primary and one wired to the stock e-fan for a\c...
2.drain and fill 50\50 mix
3.rad cap(got from jeep stock replacement.
4.cleaned a\c condensor with power washer to clear debris
5.kicked and screamed
6. asked all my friends
7.asked techs at jeep.(will figure out for cash that i dont have)

Last edited:
Could be your transmission getting really hot and boiling over- foaming out the fill tube. From the sound of it, even if this isn't your current problem- that kind of rig should really have a transmission cooler. The combination of 31s and towing on stock gears will strain a trans big time.

I had a problem with mine overheating only at highway speeds. Turned out my head gasket had a leak and a slightly warped head was causing exhaust to get into my coolant. New head gasket and she ran fine around 210-215 at 75. Never had the smoke from my bell housing though. Good luck.

Check under the fill cap and the dipstick for milkshake.

Rent a tester to check the coolant for combustion gases. Parts store will rent the tester, you purchase the chemicals.

Drain your coolant, dilute with distilled water to 30/70--30 ethylene glycol/70 distilled water, run that late Spring through early Fall (or whenever it doesn't freeze in Auaora, CO).

How many CFMs do those two efans pull?

What is the condition of the trans fluid: smell, color, type? When was the last time the transmission was flushed?

680 per? I haven't ever found the numbers for what the stock mechanical fan and clutch pull, but I would bet a cinnamon-raisin bagel it pulls a heck of a lot more CFMs than 1360! I think if you wired all THREE fans to run full time you would still be under the mech fan with standard fan clutch.

EDIT: Link to GoJeep's Ford Taurus two-speed fan conversion: http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoTaurusFanInstall1.htm

Just to give you a feel for what you should have in CFMs, that Taurus fan pulls 2500 CFM on LOW SPEED.

Last edited:
? it still over heated with the stock fan

Sure, when you were pulling a trailer up a grade at high speed--that was almost bound to happen.

Now, you say it is getting hot all the time since you changed to electric fans--not enough CFMs now.

If I was you I would hit the reset button. Either go back to the mechanical fan with clutch (you can upgrade to the ZJ HD fan clutch, NAPA 272310, $44) or just the standard clutch. Keep one of the efans and rig it up with a command switch for those times you are racing up a mountain with a trailer or running the a/c.

OR

Get the Taurus fan and install it.

OR

New 2-3 core radiator, and bigger efans.

OR

New 2-3 core radiator, ZJ HD fan clutch, one efan

Or some combination of the above, but you are just going to have trouble with the current setup.

Good luck.

I'd say that its a clogged radiator/bad radiator. And i also agree to go back to the factory setup of fans. they do a good job.

I just had to do a full cooling system replacement on mine. what started it was the water pump blew up on me. I saw it going because my temp kept on jumping up and down. then the temp hit high and blew up my radiator.

i call my buddie that has a head shop and he said he see that problem after you cook a 4.0 it warpes the head and leakes compression only at high speed or at temp. so i pulled the head and he will have it tommarow for milling,flux test ,new vales, valve seals gasket matching the intake and exhaust and doing some combustion chamber work to make a lil more power i may also do roller rockers. i also found that it had a cheep thermostat with no jiggle valve and colant was in realy good shape. i will let you guys know how it goes im going to use a mopar proformance head gasket set and all new hardware. up here i dynoed the truck at 205 with a correction of 8%. i cant wait to see what it does now. my compresion was 128psi accross the board should go up with the head milled down.and a new head gasket. thanks guys for all your imput im going to sell my fans and go to a stock clutch type hd clutch.

Back