• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

50 mph vibrations, any ideas

ThE HiV

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, As the title says I have a vibration that starts when i reach exactly 50 mph. then dies down around 58 mph. the steering wheels jumps up and down and the jeep shakes at this speed. this is a fairly new (last few weeks) problem that has recently come up. any ideas as to the problem and the fix. the jeep is bone stock.

Been in any mud holes lately? You could have some mud stuck to the backside of a wheel.

Check your wheels and see if it looks like you have thrown a weight.

Check your front suspension/steering components.

probably a wheel weight or tire related issue. I think that mostly because it sounds like it started "all of a sudden". Spin balancing the tires is probably the most cost effective/easiest thing to try.

I had the same type of issue @ 50mph, but it basically started with the install of a set of wheels. Having recently swapped out the older existing tires, with new goodyear wranglers, the problem is completely gone.

I've heard of this. Ended up being a worn driveshaft u-joint that progressively worsened until it failed. I swore it was a wheel weight at first.

My experience is that any vibes over 50mph tend to be drive shaft related.

I had a similar 'balance' problem for a little while, speed dependent, but after a while, I started getting the jerky steering wheel while parking. Turns out the axle u-joints were starting to bind. After I replaced them, it was like a free wheel balance.
Unrelated to the u-joints, about a year later, the vehicle started to have wheel balance problems again. I had them balanced at three different well respected shops, all with the same results. Turns out three of the matched set were out of round, one pretty badly. All of the shops said they watched them while they were on the machine, and nothing seemed out of the ordinary. They had about 30k miles on then, were wearing great, and looked almost new. I took off a rear wheel, and one by one installed the tires and let them spin at idle (don't try this with LSD!), and it was readily apparent what the problem was. I replaced them, and the Jeep has never been smoother! I had a highly regarded front-end shop tell me that those particular tires will never go out of round, which is why I was going nuts looking at everything else.
I guess what I'm trying to say is to keep looking. Any little problem, especially on a solid axle front-end, can manifest itself as a number of other problems. Lately, when we acquire another XJ, the first thing that happens is that almost all of the front end gets replaced, and we start from there.

Back