• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep theft ring broken up

LONG BEACH - New technology and good old-fashioned police work has cracked a five-year crime ring that stole hundreds of Southland Jeeps, police said Friday.
Long Beach Police Department Auto Theft Detective Joe Starbird, assigned to a regional task force that combines auto theft investigators from various agencies, was first to link more than 350 local cases of stolen Jeep Rubicons.
They were usually stripped to the frame and dumped in North Long Beach or Compton, Officer Israel Ramirez said Friday.
Many of the victims were college students, but there were also several police officers and firefighters targeted. The Jeeps were usually taken from large parking lots at schools, malls and businesses, including the Boeing C-17 plant in Long Beach, Ramirez said.
While Starbird used technology and his expertise to link the cases and profile a suspect, it was LBPD Patrol Officer Kevin Ong who gave detectives their first big break with the arrest of the alleged ringleader, identified as Robert Allen Kidwell, 54, of Compton.
Kidwell was arrested late on July 18 after a victim called 911 to report their Jeep Rubicon was being stolen from the parking lot at Shoreline Village, Ramirez said.
Ong heard the call and, figuring the suspect would flee the city, immediately headed to the mouth of Long Beach (710) Freeway, Ramirez said.
"That's just good old-fashioned police work, putting yourself in the suspect's mind and
thinking ahead," Ramirez said. Ong's hunch proved correct as the stolen Jeep whizzed by and the officer pursued, stopping Kidwell and booking him on a charge of grand theft auto.
However, the officer's report wasn't even filed by the time Kidwell posted bond that same day, Ramirez said.
"Starbird got the report the next day, but Kidwell had bonded out that afternoon," Ramirez said. "Still, the detectives now had a suspect a name to follow," Ramirez said.
The booking information matched the description given by many victims - a black male in his mid-50s with graying or salt-and-pepper hair driving a dark Ford Ranger.
The LBPD's Night Auto Theft team set up surveillance at Kidwell's Compton home, where they saw him return late Thursday with a newly stolen Jeep.
After arresting Kidwell, detectives found more stolen vehicles, including chopped up Jeeps stripped of doors, hardtops, spare tires, engines, chassis and frames.
Kidwell's arrest also implicated two other men: Tyrone Wallace, 49, of Compton and Jeffrey Keith Foreman, 47, of Los Angeles.
All three were in custody by early Friday and investigators were still serving warrants and searching for evidence Friday afternoon, Ramirez said.
The men were booked on a charge of conspiracy, running a chop shop and numerous counts of grand theft auto. They are scheduled to be arraigned at the Long Beach Superior Court Tuesday afternoon.
At least two are on probation or parole, the officer said.
Wallace's bail was listed at $50,000 Friday while Foreman and Kidwell were being held without bail, according to the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department's Inmate Information Center.
The total number of felony counts that could be filed against the trio was not known Friday, Ramirez said.
While the men are suspected in more than 350 cases for the Long Beach Police Department, local investigators know of many more cases from cities in the South Bay, Los Angeles County and Orange County, Ramirez said.
"Our guys are talking to other agencies, so we expect the number of cases to be cleared will grow substantially," Ramirez said. "At some point, though, I think the DA has a cutoff for the number of counts they file."
Detectives suspect more victims may be out there, Ramirez added.
Anyone who has had a Jeep Rubicon, or any Jeep model, stolen, or anyone who has witnessed an auto theft with the above suspect description is asked to call Starbird at 562-570-7362.
[email protected], 562-499-1261.
bitchez

My Mom's 05 rubicon was stolen from the lakewood mall about two years ago. Hasn't been heard or seen from since. Probably these guys. Also I'm curious what shops they were selling the parts to, they couldn't have been selling the whole things for scrap.

My Mom's 05 rubicon was stolen from the lakewood mall about two years ago. Hasn't been heard or seen from since. Probably these guys. Also I'm curious what shops they were selling the parts to, they couldn't have been selling the whole things for scrap.

Yeah, who buys stolen shiet for jeeps? I thought they only did that with HOndas :p

There is a Shop in Compton " Jeep Thrillz". Wonder if they had anything to do with it?

Hope he gets his sphincter widened :smsoap:

Jacking jeeps is against the Man Code, seriously, WTF? You don't mess with a man's ride.

My guess is most folks don't know they're buying stolen parts. Many of the parts are probably put on craigsfence.

Undoubtedly true, but sometimes the circumstances are obviously suspicious. About a month ago a guy in a gas station tried to sell me a brand new home theater system. Needless to say, I didn't buy it, but I'll bet someone else did. That guy should rot.

Undoubtedly true, but sometimes the circumstances are obviously suspicious. About a month ago a guy in a gas station tried to sell me a brand new home theater system. Needless to say, I didn't buy it, but I'll bet someone else did. That guy should rot.

That's not stolen, that's just a scam selling cheap crap and pretending it's expensive crap. They sold that system for three times what it's worth even though it was half of what a good one is.

It would serve him right if he approached the person he stole the stuff from with it.

It would serve him right if he approached the person he stole the stuff from with it.
Forget who it was, but this actually happened to someone I know. Bike was stolen by a crackhead, who then approached a friend of the guy's the next day and tried to sell it. He asked if he could "test drive" it and rode off with it and returned it :roflmao:

Forget who it was, but this actually happened to someone I know. Bike was stolen by a crackhead, who then approached a friend of the guy's the next day and tried to sell it. He asked if he could "test drive" it and rode off with it and returned it :roflmao:

that would be awesome! but i think i'd first have to beat the guy up... then drive off with it

Good to see they caught them. :clap: I truly feel for those who were victim of that ring and other rings like it.

Thoughts of the people that were involved in the ring :puke:

Back