• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

where to buy a 96 fuel sending unit?

256offroad

NAXJA Forum User
MY gas gauge has quit working in my 96 4.0 and im wanting to replace the sending unit.

But i haven't been able to find anyone that sells the whole assembly including the pump.

ive searched rock auto... everywhere..

thanks in advance!

Oh boy... have fun!

The 96 fuel sending unit is a one-off bastard child. If you find anyone selling it, it likely is actually not the right one, AND it will be several hundred dollars. I'd hit the scrapyard and buy 3 out of 96s for 75 bucks and try em till one works.

A 97 and later plastic tank + fuel sender will work with the 96 fuel delivery system, you will need the fuel fill/vent hoses and possibly the fill neck + gas cap though, and your gas gauge still won't work :looney: I'm still working on getting that working again, I got it to half-work and stopped bothering, at some point I'll be doing a bit more tweaking to see if I can't build something to convert from one vintage sender signal to another vintage gauge cluster signal.

EDIT: Are you sure it's not just sludged up? Try pulling it out and cleaning it gently with fuel injector cleaner / gas treatment and a bristle brush, just unclip the sliding contact first so you don't damage it.

Sender is probably fine, float probably fell off.

As catstain said be very careful with it, the '96 is a rare bird indeed. Sending units don't fail often when they're less than 25 years old and even then they can be brought back to life usually. Just run the tank down to under half a tank, take the pump/sending unit out, and see if the float is there, if not go fishing! Also make sure the strainer sock is on before you install it, if you don't do this expect the fuel pump to burn up in about a week or two.

"Catstain?" That's COLD!

Back