• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Loaned Jeep; friend may have destroyed 4.0

Back2Basics

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, my friend needed a vehicle while his car was awaiting parts, and I loaned him my '98 XJ.

At some point last Thursday night as he drove on a local freeway, the lower radiator hose broke and he drove an unknown distance before the Jeep just stopped.

Restoring coolant allowed it to run, roughly, but clearly there is serious damage to the engine. Compression readings for 1-6 are

Where can I get a decent used 4.0 in So Cal? and what sort of interchange is there between block/head with Wranglers, etc?

go to www.car-part.com it's a north America wide scrap yard search! BTW give your buddy a slap while you are at it!!! LOL

stay away from scottys, they are notorious for being overpriced! post up a want to buy thread in the socal chapter, or try asking in our chapter for suggestions on where to look. You'll get some more relevant information if you ask people who are local to you. Might even get someone offering to lend a hand with the swap ;)

Next time, lend him something with a Slant 6. Good luck killing one of those.

smack that guy... hard. I hope he's paying for at least some of the repairs or helping you fix it, there is no excuse for that kind of thing, there must have been a massive steam cloud.

If I was anywhere near you I'd be in for an engine swap party, good luck.

Thanks again for the info. My friend didn't have money to buy or even rent a car, so I don't know what it will ultimately cost, but my friend has pledged to pay for it all. I'll likely wait a long time to be paid. Frankly, I have to think about parting it out because of that.

There's a dismantler in Wilmington, and that's fairly close, but they are 180% of Scotty's prices. I'd love to buy from a private party, but gotta move it forward.

By the way, my friend is a car guy and the coolant all blew out under the car, and the temp sensor (he says) didn't go up.

Although it WILL work, don't use an engine from a Wrangler. There are subtle differences in a few things and it won't completely bolt-in. Stick with an XJ engine from the '91 to '99 years and the swap will be much easier.

Stuff happens, that is why I don't like driving other peoples' vehicles, even for a road test but you do what you have to do.

So here's the update: there's a cracked piston and badly scored cylinder bore.

My friend is replacing the long block with a unit from Scotty's.

TerraWombat: Appreciate the advice about the Wrangler engine!

Just a late followup: my friend got a 100K-mile Wrangler engine, swapped it in and is now buying the XJ from me. I have since bought yet another XJ. I find I cannot be without one.

by the way the temp gauge will go down when there is nothing in contact with the sensor. so if there is no coolant the sensor cant read anything. thats how i caught 2 different hose blowouts and a few bad coolant leaks before they got worse

Back