• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

adding to my lift

DubbyDoo

NAXJA Forum User
ok i bought a rustys 4.5 full leaf lift kit with the rustys shocks and installed it im running 32's with no sye just trans drop brackets. im thinking of doing a 2 inch lift in the back and a 2 inch in the front for a total of 6.5 inchs.

my question is whats the best way to do it? im planing on buying a sye to install as well, thinking of taking the coils out of the front and just buying 6.5 inch coils to replace instead of adding spacers, and in the rear goin with some greaseable shackles. sound right? also will i have to get new shocks? new brake lines the rustys kit cause with relocation brackets. i have a adjustable trackbar, but will i need a drop pitman arm?

thanks for the help

why do you want to go bigger? 4.5" is more than enough to clear those 32's

well i dont want to fender trim and with my front bumper winch and rear bumper and all my junk in the rear i can tell its sitting lower tires do rub the fender linings as well when i disco the sway bar

just trim a little bit where the tires rub, so you cant tell that you've trimmed. but if you insist on going higher you'll probably end up needing longer brake lines, the shackles should be fine in the rear, and you should be able to get away without a drop pitman arm, i've never used one.

but once you go that high, and usually anything over 31's and you do real wheeling, trimming your fenders becomes inevitable.

DSC01188.jpg

mms_picture2.jpg

IMG_0209.jpg

the rubbing is very minimal but im just afraid it will rip the flairs off and bend the fenders after a while, plus im looking into shackles from the rear anyway as mine are hitting the unibody when th e rear leaf compresses

do you have any bumpstops?

i'd throw some bumpstops in the front before i lifted it any higher, it will stop your tire from rubbing up in there too much

ill have to look at it some more and see what i can do im heading to rausch creek in 2 weeks for the weekend so i dont want to tear it up to bad

A couple of Hockey pucks on each side in front should stop the rub. Maybe cost you less than $10 for some silicone and 4 pucks. Lot cheaper than adding to the lift.

Without adjusting the bumpstops, adding more lift won't keep the tires out of the fenders.
yeah gotta agree with that. actually i find that i had the opposite problem. when i went higher i got bigger, wider tires that rubbed more not less. lifts also help you flex more not less. i dont worry about it on my rig if it rubs i cut it off but if you want yours to stay pretty bump stops are the only way to fly.

i agree... bump it or trim. your options are pretty clear.

what are you rubbing on exactly? i have the RE 4.5" lift, and with 31x10.50s (4" backspacing" i only rubbed on the inner fenders at full stuff. once removed i could see that the tires missed the actuall sheet metal by fractions of an inch. oddly enough, the only flair i ever lost was in the rear. tire managed to come all the way up and smash the pinch seem and send the fender flying. if you dont trim/bump stop then i think sheet metal damage is GOING to happen. and i wouldnt suggest more lift until AFTER you get a sye.

looks like a great rug, but there are still some "must haves" on the list. if your shackle angle is horrible, get relocation brackets. longer shackles will not fix the problem. you may gain some height with them as well.

A lot too depends on the make of tires too. Not all 32's are the same diameter.

On my set up, I have RE 4.5" coils and 1.5" spacers in front with pucks to limit up travel. RE 3.5" leafs and 1.5" shackles in the back, with adjusted rear bump stops. It's all settled in at just over 5.5" of lift.

I run 32 BFG M/T's; no trimming, stock flares. I have about 1/2" clearance at the rear of the front wheel well at full lock, but overall it clears just fine. The rears clear fine as well.

Nice looking Jeep!

If your running stock shackles I would definitely get some 2 inch shackles ( I have Rock Krawler ones) for the front just throw on some poly spacers. Daystar makes some extended ones that fit in the stock location for about $30. I would see if pucks are enough first, but the stock ones probably arnt reaching at full flex now.... so pucks may not be enough. they also make some for the rear.

I was thinking of going to rausch soon to, but for some strange reason I keep stalling out when my trans is in reverse!

on second though with more lift, you may not need to bumpstop at all. Right now im at about 8 inch lift on 35" Swampers. I have a little rubbing, but its only when im going for max flex. when I get my 37's I will need extended bumps.

yea im gonna get some shackles for the rear to solve my hitting the unibody problem just worried not have a sye and all plan on gettin on but money tight right now

Back