• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

clicking noise from underneath

sjbond67

NAXJA Forum User
so i just got done replacing the front u joints on the front axle thinking that was my problem. however it still iss there. It does it only a few times while driving straight or turning left or right. it feels like it is coming from right under the center console between the seats. So could it possible be the driveshaft u joints? i also noticed today when changing the front u joints that when i took the axle shaft out of the driver side, it started leaking diff oil... soo now i have to replace the axle seal. Does anyone have any good writeups on that? i didnt get to check the level of the oil but what will happen if i drive too long like that? could that be where the clicking noise is coming from??

Just pull the front drive shaft, drive around and see if that fixes it. If not put it back on, its only 8 bolts. 8mm, enjoy. I just did the rear driveshaft u-joint this afternoon and was actually kind of easy.

YOU MUST HAVE A BENCH VICE OR PRESS. No amount of hand tools can you change a u-joint for the driveshafts. Unless you do some crazy creative tool-craft that I cannot begin to imagine.

I also had a front driveshaft u-joint (differential side) go bad and took off the driveshaft 2 weeks ago. Probably will put it back on soon.

if you pulled the axle shaft it will leak oil. The oil seal rides on the shaft.

You can do axle and driveshaft u-joints just fine with basid hand tools. I have, as have many others. There's a few methods.
The more violent involves a hammer and some sockets you don't like.
Pick a socket one size larger than the u joint cap, place this under neath the yoke. Choose a socket just smaller than the u joint cap. Place this on the top of the yoke. Whack the smaller socket with the hammer until the u joint cap pops into the larger socket underneath. Flip the yoke over and do the same for the other cap. With both caps off the u-joint will come out.

The easier way is to rest the balljoint tool from the local parts store. It's pretty self explanatory how it works. ust like a big c-clap, use it to push the the u-joint out of the yoke.

the u-joints in the driveshaft are just like the u-joints in the axle shaft you just replaced, even easier because you only have to do one set of caps.

The double carden joint at the top of the front DS is another matter. It can be rebuilt as well, but you'll need to get a rebuild kit. I'm not familiar enough with it to help out with that.

Sounds like they're saying the noise may be coming from the front driveline u-joint, but maybe I didn't read it right..

Does the sound change at different speeds? Can you reproduce it with the vehicle up off the ground on jacks? Do you get any play when you try to turn the driveline back and forth with the Jeep up off it's wheels? Don't forget to make sure Jeep is securely and safely on jack stands. Sometimes those sounds are hard to pin down. Good luck, Rick

Back