• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do you take off a Slip Yoke Eliminator?

GoBlue

NAXJA Forum User
I found a junked 1998 XJ that has a SYE. I am going to take it off but Im not sure how to disconnect all that stuff. Im thinking just lower the X-fer case, and go from there, but how do you undo the u-joints and whatever else is attached?

Thanks

You'll need to download the installation instructions and take them with you it's kind of involved. You need to open the case and remove several large snap rings. It's too much to explain or remember, download the info and take it with you, you'll need it.

Its a quality SYE, whats the "double cardan" part of the drive shaft mean? If I take the whole transfer case which I thought of, is that safe? I mean, its leaky and in the salvage yard. Would you do it if it was cheap, and what kind of price is a bit too much you think? thanks for the feedback guys.

Where exactly is it leaking from? The DC is the part of the driveshaft closest to the transfercase it has 2 u joints right next to each other instead of one. It would probably be cheapest to just take out the parts you need but you'll be there awhile. It would be easier to just swap in the whole thing but if it's leaking then your going to have to fix the leak first of course. This is a tough call. Where it's leaking from is the key, you should make sure it's not leaking because it's cracked it is just aluminum. I wouldn't pay more than $125 for the case & driveshaft ($100 for the case & $25 for the shaft)

When I realize that I have no idea how to lower the tcase, and/or take it off, I will take a picture of it. I cant imagine this things going anywhere, so I will definitely get the information on here. Thanks again!

I vote take the whole thing. It's a bit easier and you'll have a spare to install a 4:1 in while you break your current one on the trails.

Well i got the whole tansfer case off, and its sitting at the salvage. It was kind of a pain but jacking up the front axle a whole bunch made things a snap. Its in decent shape, and they want 175 for it. The leak is at the back seal on the bottom, so doesnt look too bad. I figure I can go back and offer 150 tomorrow, but does that sound worth it?

That's less than the SYE would cost you and your getting a spare Transfercase out of the deal too. You'll want to get the rear shaft too as it's made to work with the SYE.

That doesn't matter on XJ's.

Hmmm, i always thought that to run a stock front d/s on a sye equipped lifted xj, the 4 door, aw4 provided the longest shaft. :dunno: Where the heck did i get the 4 door idea from? Thanks for the clarification, good to know. -B

Edit: lmao! have another beer Boom...

Last edited:
Sweet, I dont feel too bad buyin this thing I suppose. I have pretty much violated this jeep by stripping it down to its soul, and only spent around $400.

I got the whole lift kit, I think its 3 or 3.5" I dont know how to tell, anyway... its a Rancho with adjustable shocks (some kind of dial at the bottom), coils, leaf springs, think it was $150 total. Also, jks quick disconnects, $5. Shackles, that I really needed, $10. Trac-bar, $10. A/C compressor, and a whole bunch of stuff that was randomly broken. I still want to get the skid plate, and it has 4 adjustable control arms that look like pipes. Not sure about those. Im going to post pics of this SYE before I buy it to make sure. I dont know how to do pics so its gonna take a while.

Back