• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need tie rod end options

Mudshack

NAXJA Forum User
While replacing my LCAs today I noticed that both tie rod ends on the cross link (from tire to tire) were ripped and grease was everywhere. While greasing the drag link it blew out. Now I have to replace them. What are my options?

Dorman makes replacement dust boots, not the best but they keep the grease in and the dust out. You need the 5/8 boots for the jeep TREs, which they used to sell as single product (13563) but now are only sold in sets with the 3/4.dust boot (13567). Sometimes you can find these at the local autozone or wherever in the Help! section but if you need more than one or two your best bet is to order some from rockauto.com or ask autozone or wherever if they will order them for you.

Jeep also sells replacement dust boots for the original gear. IIRC they are $30ish each just for the boot, about the price for a whole replacement aftermarket TRE.

BTW there are four TREs there with a grease boot on each TRE. The drag link comes from pitman arm to passenger knuckle, tie rod intersects drag link and goes to drivers knuckle.

Crown is decent stuff.

I'd honestly hit the junkyard and pull a V8 ZJ tie rod in decent shape though. I pay anywhere from 10 to 20 dollars for them generally. That looks like the Crown V8 ZJ tie rod plus a stock drag link (which I am fairly certain you don't need.)

Crown is decent stuff.

I'd honestly hit the junkyard and pull a V8 ZJ tie rod in decent shape though. I pay anywhere from 10 to 20 dollars for them generally. That looks like the Crown V8 ZJ tie rod plus a stock drag link (which I am fairly certain you don't need.)

I agree with Kastein, hit the salvage yard.

Back