• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can't get LCA back on...

Mudshack

NAXJA Forum User
I got the passenger side LCA off without cutting bolts. PHEW! But the moment the LCA came off, the bolt holes went from 15 3/4" to 15". I am trying to put in the IronMan LCA at just under 16". I can not get the bolt holes to line up. I can't even get the stock one back in.

I have not removed the driver's side LCA because I heard that it is a bear to try and get everything lined back up again. But at this point, I can't see how to do it without removing the driver's side LCA.

Any suggestions? Any WARNINGS?

The factory bottle jack with the base wedged into the corner of the LCA bracket and the unibody worked well for me to relocate the axle when I swapped in my RE LCAs

Use the factory bottle jack on the pinion or on the front driver's side coil bucket/trackbar bracket to raise/lower the pinion (shorten/lengthen arm bolts). No need for straps or come-a-longs.

I use a floor jack with a big pipe wrench around the axle tube.

if the jeep's on the ground with the tires still on you can grab the tire and rotate it in the desired direction and chock the tire as you move it. works every time. oh, and removing the driveshaft seems to help too. -B

We used a come along and a tow strap attached to the house to pull the pass side forward. Then we used the strap and come along to a tow hitch of the car behind the XJ to pulbackwards for the drivers side. Thanks for the advice to go with a come along.

I used a floor jack under the axle and a bottle jack wedged in at the LCA mount. Was able to twist the pinion angle as needed and push the axle where I needed it to line up the whole.

All the moving around of the axel caused a little grease to squirt out of my driveshaft and onto the driveway. Is that normal?

Yeah when you compress the shaft, excess grease comes out of the little hole at the end of the shaft. Just grease it up again when you are done.

I've used a ratchet strap to the sway bar, and the bottle jack to the frame methods. Either works pretty nicely.

yeah the front driveshaft has a slip joint in the center that lets it compress and extend, and there is grease in the cavity to lubricate the joint

you should top it off next oil change, along with all the other fittings

Back