• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Carnage from CO Fest.....

YELLAHEEP

NAXJA Forum User
There was quite a lot amongst the group that attended......

The BOR rig:

-Some SOB stole my driver's side windshield wiper and arm. :dunno:

-Faint howl from the D44 rear on Friday while driving to Wheeler. Louder on the way back to camp. Not sure what that's all about.

-Noteable loss of power when climbing even the slightest grade. Gas mileage dropped from 14's to 9.8 mpg.

-Lots of banging, creaking, knocking, squeaking from all moveable things below the floor boards after Wheeler Lake and Chinamans....... I'm gonna be spending a lot of time on a creeper. Couldn't track a single noise down on the trail - everything was checked to be tight..... :dunno:

-Something odd with the OBDII system. Random gauges go flat at random times. The one combination that IS consistent, yet random is the temp gauge goes flat, then the idle air control opens and the RPM picks up to about 1500. Speedometer stopped working half way through Chinamans..... hasn't worked again since..... Completely died on me for no reason 3 times. Gonna start looking into grounding issues and go from there. No codes set at all.

-While negotiating a rather tippy downhill obstacle on the way out just below the "Z turn" the brake pedal went right to the floor after a loud pop. I damn near rolled the rig. I had to force it into park as my parking brake wouldn't stop it. Blew the pass. front RE braided steel brake line. Looks like it just ballooned and popped..... Pinched it off with a Vice Grip and was able to limp down the rest of the trail with brakes that barely worked, a rock hard pedal, and a rig that would jump in RPM randomly causing me to have to pop the shifter into neutral to keep from speeding up with no brakes......

The ol' girl is apparently mad at me or sumpthin'............ :dunno:

What I know of the others:

Zith: Ripped off his track bar axle bracket
Tip: Window, track bar, MTR sidewall
SteveT: Buckled a rear drive shaft
Time2getdirty: Brand new drag link bent, stabilizer shock end broken clean off.
G.P_XJ: Rocker damage, random body damage, ripped off front bumper and ripped bumper mounting holes on front frame horns, tore up header panel.

Last edited:
I think steve "found" one before i left, and the random body damage sucked. I hit a tree from sliding off a rock, and then I was watching a rock telling myself it wouldn't hit me, and because my stupid luck I slid right into that one as well. After that I didn't care much about the body of the heep. So I let the fun times roll :D

Last edited:
I used the passenger side front tire to finish the fender clearance.
Tip also blew his lower radiator hose.

i lost a tranny cooler line at a rather akward time (in camp :dunno: )
and got a lil popping out of my front end (just gonna weld up trasc bar bracket frameside)
oh, and clearanced te rear bumper some more lol

virtually none -- some trackbar movement at the axle-end, I think I may have wallowed a hole or something. Looks like a little washer-welding is in order. :sunshine:

-front tires and fenders got too friendly, some bent sheet metal was the result
-broke a shock mount bolt on rear axle
-sway bar disconnect got screwed up
-rear leaf pack was a pain in my @ss, a couple of leaves kept rubbing tires

nothin a weekend wenching won't take care of...

heres some pics of my random damage...

Tree-
14b8bb9.jpg

bumper (or lack there of)-
k3saw.jpg

nbc0ls.jpg

Back talking to a rock doesnt help :D -
rvzv2b.jpg

dy6i54.jpg

To much speed-
2ytw8r9.jpg

Lets see ... after the shake down run on Monday...
starter bendix bouncing off the flex plate ... put new one in from napa
spit 2 caps on the front axle shaft.... Tomken hooked me up and ran a bead on them for me
JJ on the track bar was loose.... J9 had the spanner tool sweeet
broken fan shroud .... ripped it out
300 leaks like mad
Tricia's jeep the Tcase seem to int bind :dunno:

Ant the grand daddy showed its head on the way home... steering box worked loose and after tightening it found a crack in the frame between the box and the track bar :flamemad::bawl: ..... so it looks like its going back to the hanger for more plating

Brake line blow out:

The trail fix:

ColoradoFest2010287.jpg

The damage:

100_0520.jpg

Dunno what brand of weak-sauce brake lines these skinny POS things are, but I'll be swapping in new RE fat-n-sturdy lines asap.

Last edited:
Ummmmmm.....

Why didn't you install the SliderZ before you went wheeling?

Same reason in4abashedrocker didn't get his done before Indy........ :D

Apparently your SliderZ are just too pretty and no one wants to scratch 'em. :dunno:

Brake line blow out:

The trail fix:

The damage:

Dunno what brand of weak-sauce brake lines these skinny POS things are, but I'll be swapping in new RE fat-n-sturdy lines asap.

Good thing it wasn't worse! That's a good reminder that lines like that, no matter who the mfg should be replaced every couple years.

I popped a ujoint cap and fubar'd a front D44 axle shaft.
The front locker crapped out and turned into a spool.
The hub was ruined.
The serpentine belt shreaded.
Ruined about one shock bushing per trail.
Header gasket blew out and had to be replaced.

virtually none -- some trackbar movement at the axle-end, I think I may have wallowed a hole or something. Looks like a little washer-welding is in order. :sunshine:

spoke too soon -- small puddle of ATF on the driveway this morning... tcase... again... :(

Came down on a rock on the rear quarter panel during Saturday's run... I know the plastic end-cap for the rear bumper is bent, probably some bending underneath too, but you really can't even tell unless you look at it from a weird angle. Fun times everyone! Glad to have met you all!

Back