• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear side window replacment

XJ Stryker

WHO DAT!
Busted my window on my Waggy today wheelin.

87 4dr waggy

There are very few threads about this. I am thinkin about trying to pull one out at the JY tomorrow anyone have any tips for me. I have no clue what I will be doing so be very elementary in the description. If I have to much trouble we have some plexi at work and I may try and install it instead of some brittle JY glass. But any help or ideas is appreciated. I am not concerned with looks I am more concerned with keeping the cold air out this winter.

Thanks.

Well, those rear quarter windows will just about pop out. Do a quick search for windows.

I did search. Like I said there are very few threads on this.

I had been reading this thread. http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=960208&highlight=windows

But I still didn't really know what to do. Pry from the out side with a screwdriver just seems like you would damage it. I dunno I guess I will just have to go to the JY and try the stuff out. We will C.

I've added the rear quarter windows with vents and mirror tint in both our 2 doors and haven't broken any glass yet, either in the JY or installing them.

A couple of big flat screwdrivers (or bicycle tire changing irons) worked under the outside rubber will pull the windows out.

Clothesline pulled from the inside, with an outside "pusher", will get them installed.
If you aren't sure, practice at the JY.

agree with everyone above-- it's tougher to explain than it is to do.

The idea is to get a corner of the rubber seal from the inside of the Jeep to the outside of it. I've had good luck (with a gutted interior) just pushing the rubber toward the window and through the opening. Once a corner is through, you will be able the "walk" the rest through a little at a time and get it out without too much trouble.

I recommend starting at a top corner and working down the vertical side first. After it is free, work across the top and down the opposite vertical side. This will leave the bottom "holding" it and you can just lift it off from there.

To install it, the clothes line slipped into the channel method has worked for me tons of times.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1024306

Last edited:
agree with everyone above-- it's tougher to explain than it is to do.

The idea is to get a corner of the rubber seal from the inside of the Jeep to the outside of it. I've had good luck (with a gutted interior) just pushing the rubber toward the window and through the opening. Once a corner is through, you will be able the "walk" the rest through a little at a time and get it out without too much trouble.

I recommend starting at a top corner and working down the vertical side first. After it is free, work across the top and down the opposite vertical side. This will leave the bottom "holding" it and you can just lift it off from there.

To install it, the clothes line slipped into the channel method has worked for me tons of times.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1024306

Exactly... on all accounts.

Stryker... which side? I have a few panes/gaskets lying around if you dont find one local.

start from the inside! i made the mistake of doing it from the outside and ended up getting little dents everywhere from the screwdriver!

If you're sure the gasket on your own vehicle is in good shape, and that you can clean out all the old glass (make very sure some previous owner has not sealed it or gooped it at some point), then the safest as well as quickest way to obtain the new glass is to slice one of the body side flanges off the gasket on the donor car with a box cutter or utility knife. Back in the dreamtime when windshields were gasketed in this was the normal way. Windshields were usually very tight, and the XJ quarter windows not so much, but still, I'd sacrifice the gasket unless there's a good reason to use the donor gasket as well.

Ya, it really isn't too bad. I removed both quarter glasses from a '99 2 door with pry bars, both came out unscathed. I started at a corner and worked around, as Shorty said.

Screwdrivers and pry bars?!?! :D All it takes is your fingers, like Shorty said. Start from a corner from inside the Jeep and push out with your fingers.

This was what I decided to do.

Update:

Took the waggies out this past weekend to some private land about 30 min from here.

Got my first bit of real carnage.

Lost the Rear Passenger side window.
008.jpg

001.jpg

I took a bad line (over confident waggy was running great) And my rear end slid over against a tree. I wasn't too worried about some trail rash and it wasn't on my window. I failed to consider the immense pressure that the window was under and so I pressed the gas and let my roof just slide on the tree. Then A big POP and the window was gone.

Well I considered replacing the window with a JY one and kept thinking I will just be replacing this again soon if I do that. I loved Nick's (Hana87xj's) Set up with the plexi glass. So I decided to experiment with his set-up.

First I removed the rear plastic panel around the window.

Then worked a flat tip out on the corners to get the seal out.

IMG_0540.jpg

IMG_0541.jpg

I then just grabbed a piece of Plexi-Glass we had some at our shop so it was free. I am not sure if Plexi is expensive or not so I am not even sure if this mod is worth it. Anyway I just traced with a black sharpie the outline of the window and added about a 1/2 and inch to all the side to compensate for the seal.

Then cut it out with a Angle Grinder (melting plastic burns wear protective gear)
IMG_0538.jpg

I ripped the blue plastic off and this is what I am left with.

Mind you the window is clear lol
IMG_0539.jpg

I then started working the window into the seal. It went pretty easy I prolly could have added some soap or what not but Plexi is a lot more flexible than glass so it kinda bent in pretty well.
IMG_0542.jpg

IMG_0543.jpg

Next came the slow process of working the glass and seal back into the jeep. With real glass you have to get string soapy water and everything else to get the window back in.

This was just a lil patience since the Plexi will flex and bend. It is Brittle in on the edges so be careful.

IMG_0544.jpg

I went if from the side sticking the bottom in the groove then the top and slid it all the way flush the back of the window. Then just worked the seal in with a flat tip. The hardest part was the top corner but I had a buddy to help me get in. Helped to pry from both sides.

Hard corner
IMG_0545.jpg

Finished although I want to leak test it. It will prolly leak water still since my Plexi is a lil thinner than the glass. If it leaks I plan to add a small groove of RTV just underneath the seal.

So for anyone that wants to do this It is pretty simple.

Finished
IMG_0546.jpg

I would say some RTV or Epoxy on the inside of wher ethe plexi/seal meet would work good.

Back