• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bastard pack builders: What did you use and how much lift did you get?

HenryKrinkle

NAXJA Forum User
I know this has been covered a ton, but I thought we could try to consolidate the info into one spot. The condition of the leaves would be great, along with the vehicle they are from, which leaves were used, and how much lift you gained.

I just did mine, last week using a full s10 pack, and cutting the eyes off and reusing the main xj leaf. I got about 4.5" over stock, condition wise I would say, they were fair, there was some rust, and the bolts were froze up. I just used a wirewheel to knock the rust off and greased everything up when I put it back together. On the front I used Thunderbird coils and it looks and rides fantastic. A little stiff for some, but the body roll is gone and it is much more stable.

I used a full pack, minus the main from a 60's IH pickup, bolted to a xj mane, a blazer main with 1/2 the eyes cut off and a 1 inch block for about 8"s lift, I also used 1/4 UHMW stips between each leaf.
Picture127.jpg

Rides like crap, but flexes pretty damn good.
stump.jpg

i used a stock xj main with 88 dakota leafs, i cut the overload to the size of the leaf plate for a 3/4" lift block, i ended up with 4 inches of lift, it rides a lil stiff, flex's ok, it wont stuff my 33's into the fender but it tows well and flex's better with full camp gear

I used my stock xj leaves with another xj main with the eyes cut off and got about 2" out of it. It flexes good and will handle a good amount of weight.

I used my stock xj leaves with another xj main with the eyes cut off and got about 2" out of it. It flexes good and will handle a good amount of weight.

I did this same thing, and got a solid 1" out of it. Mine is an 01, used 95 donor leafs. Keep in mind, mine had sagged, and the donor looked about the same condition.

I took apart an XJ pack. Did away with the short bottom leaf.

I added back in the 2nd and 3rd leaves from a grand wagoneer pack (FSJ) and got 2.5" of lift. If I had left the short leaf in I think I would have ended up with 3" or so.

For those of you who did a bastard pack, what are you shackle angles like? I would think keeping the stock xj main and adding more/other leaves will arch the pack and shorten the "length" of the leaf springs, killing your shackle angle, which makes for a rougher ride.

I used the whole XJ pack that was in my 99 plus an XJ main and bottom leaf for liek 2.25 inchs. Rode great, and flexed pretty good.

For those of you who did a bastard pack, what are you shackle angles like? I would think keeping the stock xj main and adding more/other leaves will arch the pack and shorten the "length" of the leaf springs, killing your shackle angle, which makes for a rougher ride.

at 3.25 my shackle angle is just fine. Hardly any change.

I used several set ups, but currently I use Isuzu leaves. I got 6" of lift with amazing flex. These pics are with my sway bar still hooked up.

IMG_0529.jpg

IMG_0528.jpg

I used a full pack, minus the main from a 60's IH pickup, bolted to a xj mane, a blazer main with 1/2 the eyes cut off and a 1 inch block for about 8"s lift, I also used 1/4 UHMW stips between each leaf.
Picture127.jpg

Rides like crap, but flexes pretty damn good.
stump.jpg

Grooved leaves were used in older off highway applications. The leaves will flex more yet still hold a load. The early CJs were built with them until the mid 70s as well as International Harvester Scouts and Pickups.

I ran these springs on my early bronco back in the day. Your right, stiff ride.

I've built my packs from 2 typical high miles stock (slightly sagged) XJ packs. I cut the eyes off the main from the 2nd pack and added it as a full length AAL, I then shortened each of the remaining leaves from the 2nd pack to fall halfway between the stock leaves for a nice consistent step down. I ended up with 7 leaves total and the shortest leaves from the 2nd pack left over. I got about 3" of lift relative to stock - unsagged spec. The ride is not cushy, but it also not harsh. They carry weight nicely. They worked well enough that I built another set for a buddy's XJ, and he seems quite happy as well.

I used XJ/XJ, got about 1.5" over stock, but about 2.5-3" over where it was before.

Very happy with the ride, and it flexes very well. I want my rig to look "super-stock" rather than lifted right now, as I build it up. Once I get armor, a winch, snorkel, spare tire carrier, etc, I still want it to look fairly stockish as far as height. (We'll see, with all the added weight)

Back