• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel pump collision switch

Tarakian

NAXJA Forum User
Well somebody ran a red light and now I have a mangled fender, grill, bumper, headlight etc. Everybody is ok, but by visual inspection the XJ should run, but it wont start. Its not getting any fuel, it tries to start with starting fluid, is there a collision switch on it like there is on a Ford? If so where is it? We looked everywhere we could think of and couldn't find it.

Its an 86 XJ with a 2.5L TBI AX-5, very stock.

Good news is I have another 86 with a blown 2.8L whose body is pretty good, so I have parts.

There is no collision switch on an 86. That is a TBI setup, correct?

I can't remember exactly how that wiring is set up but I think you have a fuel pump ballast resistor as well as a fuel pump relay. Check out both.

Yep its a TBI, where is the fuel pump relay? I am checking my haynes manual for it... Haynes aint much but its all I got.

Last edited:
there's a real big difference betwwen an 86 and a 99. Trust me, you don't have anything of the sort.
If the fuel pump is not running I would check the relay. In 86 there wasn't a ballast resistor from the factory, but the dealers retrofitted them to quiet the fuel pump if someone complained about it being noisy. If you have one it will be a white block on the drivers side fender. They are fragile and an impact may have damaged it. You can test that theory by jumping the terminals with a suitable sized wire.
the fuel pump relay is located under the plastic cover on the passenger side of the engine compartment.

Found the fuel pump relay, and I can hear the pump running if I hot wire it, now I have no spark. I am thinking the ECU has a power problem. The damage is all on the right front and right fender side and the wiring harness runs all through that area. I already found a bunch of damaged wiring there.

I know it tried to start yesterday with the starting fluid, but I am thinking the damaged wiring shorted when we towed it home.

BTW, the wire nuts are just there to try to get it started... All out of real connectors and the wirenuts were free.

102_2451.JPG

102_2452.JPG

http://www.geocities.com/tarakian.defender@sbcglobal.net/102_2450.JPG
http://www.geocities.com/[email protected]/102_2451.JPG
http://www.geocities.com/[email protected]/102_2452.JPG
http://www.geocities.com/[email protected]/102_2453.JPG

102_2453.JPG

:gonnablow:gonnablow:gonnablow

Last edited:
that's a mess. the same wire that supplies power to the fuel pump also applies power to the ecm injector drivers. So if it wasn't feeding power to the pump then the ecu isn't getting proper power either.

My 96 definitely doesn't have a fuel cut off. I wrecked it pretty good and totalled it the other night and it was still running till I shut it off. It started right back up too. Its sad, it still runs great. :(

What are you planning on doing with that XJ? There is a lot more damage there than that XJ is worth...

Eingine and tranny are still good, just had the tranny rebuilt less than 1500 miles ago. I have another 86 xj with a bad 2.8L V6 in it... Its a two door, body is in "ok" shape, so I will either pull parts off of this one to fix that one, or I will fix this one with parts from that one... As far as the "not worth it to fix it" its a Jeep, it will probably never get out of the red ink.

I wan't trying to talk bad about your Jeep. I'm just saying that because I just got an estimate on my '96 for almost $5K to fix it and it doesn't look as bad as that one. Like $1200 of it was the airbag, but still. Its not worth that much so it will more than likely be totalled. I'm working with the insurance company to try and keep it from being totalled.

Unless you owe on the jeep, I don't believe you have to take the insurance companys decision. Of course then you don't get their money either, which is fine by me. I already have the parts to fix it, and I will do the work myself. If it looks a little rough, thats ok, I plan to mod and wheel this jeep. Around here body damage and scratches are normal offroad battlescars.

Tarakian said:
Unless you owe on the jeep, I don't believe you have to take the insurance companys decision. Of course then you don't get their money either, which is fine by me. I already have the parts to fix it, and I will do the work myself. If it looks a little rough, thats ok, I plan to mod and wheel this jeep. Around here body damage and scratches are normal offroad battlescars.

Yeah, I'm trying to decide if I'm even going to turn mine in or not. I have $1000 deductable on it and I can do most of the work myself. I might just cash out on it, IDK. I haven't decided what I'm gonna do, I hate to see it get totalled. It still drives totally fine, it just needs a new radiator. Surprisingly, the A/C still works, but the clutch fan got the radiator.

I know my insurance agent pretty well, I'm going to talk with him tomorrow and see what he thinks I should do. He's a pretty nice, honest guy.

Good luck with your Jeep. It sucks when they get wrecked.

Back