• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is this switch possible?

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
I have a 2001 XJ Anniversary Edition with the D30 front with 3.55 gears.

In the pick and pull this afternoon I found a 1986 XJ with a D30 front and stock 4.10 gears.

I pulled it anticipating getting a Ford 8.8 with 4.10s and just swapping both axles instead of regearing my current front D30.

Will this junkyard find work?

Thanks!

its going to be a disco axel, and wont be desirable. though i suppose you could plug it off. the bad thing about such an old axel will be the condition. you may spend as much replacing parts for it as you would regearing your 30... now the advantage is that it is a HP 30 over your LP axel.

personally i would have opened it up to see if the gears/carrier were salvagable. if so, grab it (assuming its priced right) and find a newer HP 30 non disco to drop it into.

Here are some photos...not the best since it is still dirty and still in the back of my Jeep...

101_0617.jpg

101_0618.jpg

101_0619.jpg

You did fine. The axles looks like it is in pretty good shape. Mark ran a disco axle in the beginning that we converted to non-disco. Used a little Willy Worthy trick for the seal backer (tapered aluminum puck) when we put it together.

You may need to swap on the outter knuckles so your brakes will remain 2001.

Good score. You are almost there!

Last edited:
Thanks Ed!

When I get the 8.8 to go along with it...I will need to have an install party. You interested?!?!?!

Thanks Ed!

When I get the 8.8 to go along with it...I will need to have an install party. You interested?!?!?!

Of course.

If you talk sweet to Mark, he can hook you up with the block off plate and that aluminum backer (if we can get it out of the housing). I think we still have the seal number that worked the best.

I think you are going to have to run some lift and bump stops to keep the HP axle from hitting the exhaust on the '01. Do you have the dual exhaust manifold/dual pre-cats/double head pipe flange?

I'm at 3.5" right now tbburg...but thanks for the heads up.

Also, you want to swap your shafts (and do the one piece shaft that was said above), because those are the smaller 260 u-joints, you want to keep your 297/760 style shafts.

So Ed...and the rest, to recap...

As I clean this axle up, it is best that I take off the steering knuckle, the calipers, brakes, rotors and use the ones off my 2001 when the install happens.

As well, I should pull that vacuum off, and the seal it up with some part that Mark has and use my shafts from the 2001.

So, everything except the axle housing, the differential, and the differential guts are not important to keep/clean/repair...

An I understanding correctly?

In essence, everything circled in red in this photo can be pulled and tossed?

101_0619-1.jpg

Dont forget to install new ball joints!

So Ed...and the rest, to recap...

As I clean this axle up, it is best that I take off the steering knuckle, the calipers, brakes, rotors and use the ones off my 2001 when the install happens.

As well, I should pull that vacuum off, and the seal it up with some part that Mark has and use my shafts from the 2001.

So, everything except the axle housing, the differential, and the differential guts are not important to keep/clean/repair...

An I understanding correctly?

In essence, everything circled in red in this photo can be pulled and tossed?

101_0619-1.jpg

Yes, everything you have circled needs to be removed and set aside. I wouldn't toss it. Keep the drivers side shaft as a spare and the pass side outer stub.

The knuckle and caliper won't be of any use as they won't interchange with your '01 stuff. It would interchange with my stuff however, and give them to somebody who can use them.

Thanks Ed...I won't "toss" anything. I may "toss it aside," in the meantime, however. I am sure there are salvagable parts for others. Once the swaps are done, I'll have all this stuff up for grabs! You get first choice...

it's simply not possible!!! the axle will break in half! your dog will die! your best friend will drink all the beer in your fridge and run off with your wife! you will grow a mullet and lose your job!

:eyes: yeah, you'll be fine. Pretty sure almost everything has been covered already.

If you want larger U-joints like Mark (begster) mentioned, you can either eliminate the disconnect, or (from what I've heard, I have no disconnect axle experience) get the outer shaft and stub shaft from a 95 YJ with ABS and use that.

I thought you were starting to write a country music song Kastein!

I think I will by-pass the disconnect. PacificEd and High2By, who have offered to help install, have done this bypass before with success.

Appreciate the input.

Back