• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4 lo help

phillyxj570

NAXJA Forum User
last night while wheeling got stuck. went to put np231 into 4lo it would go through neutral and stay there 4lo would not engage. i have only used 4lo once and it was just to test it when i bought my xj and it worked...havent used 4lo since...can anybody help me out

i have a 3 inch with a 1 inch tc drop it worked when i first tested it and the lift was already on it and no i wasnt on level ground my back end was sunk in mud

Last edited:
transmission was in neutral. tcase would go from 4hi to neutral and it would stay in neutral when pulled into 4lo...and also when i was going back to 4hi i was getting a grinding coming from the tcase but i searched and read that the grinding going back into 4hi is normal

Well, for there to be a grinding when switching back, the transmission would in fact not be in neutral. Reason I was asking about the transmission is I know I can't switch my 241 into 4lo unless I first switch the tranny into neutral. I can't remember if the 231 in my old DD used to be this way or not.

To understand a little more, does the lever go back to 4lo, then pop back to neutral, or does the lever go into the 4lo position, stay there, yet you don't go anywhere?

i always put mine into 4 low rolling at a speed less than 5mph, throw the tranny into neutral, then put the t-case into neutral and back to 4 low, that works best FOR ME.

this is the rule of thumb i always go by when wheeling anywhere. its better to be in it and not need it, then need it and not be in it. my 4 low will hit 25 mph no problem (overdrive is a really long gear) but before i get into a rocky section or a place where im going to need 4wd i always put it into 4 lo. if im going down a snowy road or sand highway, i'll use 4 high.

your case sounds like you were in N/N position, tried to put it in 4 lo, thought it was in, put it in drive, and nothing, then put it back to N and tried back into 4 high and it grinded... but its not "common" for my jeep to grind going into any gear.

then your transfer case linkage is out of adjustment. grab a 1/2" wrench or 9/16 i forget which, but anyway get under ur jeep and adjust the linkage about a 1/4" further down the shaft ( the smaller end on the front side gets shorter) thats all it took for my friends jeep, but she has a pre-96 design. for my jeep i have a 1" tc drop as well with a 4" lift and i had to re-drill and lower the whole mount 3/4" lower to correct my linkage problem.

bottom line i think your issue is with the linkage itself if your 4 lo will not engage

PEOPLE, PEOPLE, PEOPLE--wouldn't this be a GREAT time to know the OP's YEAR? He states he has a NP231--up through 91 that would mean a D30 CAD axle.

PEOPLE, PEOPLE, PEOPLE--wouldn't this be a GREAT time to know the OP's YEAR? He states he has a NP231--up through 91 that would mean a D30 CAD axle.

And how would the CAD axle affect the OP not being able to put the transfercase into 4lo?

I was under the impression that the vacuum only shifted the axle disconnect, and didn't do anything in the transfercase.

im magical joe ;) i somehow know its the linkage

what difference would it make on the linkage if its a d30 CAD axle?

And how would the CAD axle affect the OP not being able to put the transfercase into 4lo?

I was under the impression that the vacuum only shifted the axle disconnect, and didn't do anything in the transfercase.

Well, he is stuck, has no 4x4, says the lever goes into 4lo, but no 4x4 light.

Now, as for grinding, he could be hearing the collar and axle making noise.

Humor me, I prefer not to a**ume TOO MANY things. :wave:

its a 96 auto with a np231 dana 30 front and a chrysler 8.25 with 3.55 gears i have a 3 inch lift with a tc drop
i have 4hi just no 4lo when tranny is in neutral and i shift into 4lo it goes through neutral and into the 4lo position but remains in neutral

Last edited:
My roommate's 2000 does the same thing. Pretty much gave up on using the lever to shift it. Just crawl under, pop out the linkage and bang it into place manually. We've swapped out 3 sets of linkages in that thing, but the sheet metal that the shifter is riveted to just seems to give to much. I've only seen this with auto's, and from your gearing I'm guessing that's what you have. At least you will be able to tell if you have a t-case issue or a linkage issue.

Assuming you're out of the mud hole now, it's time to adjust the linkage. Even the Haynes/Chilton's manuals cover how to do this. When I did a 3" lift and TC lowering kit, I needed to adjust linkage.

And, like someone said before...shift into 4-low BEFORE you need it. Lots easier to shift into 4-low when moving <5 mph than when stopped.

its a 96 auto with a np231 dana 30 front and a chrysler 8.25 with 3.55 gears i have a 3 inch lift with a tc drop
i have 4hi just no 4lo when tranny is in neutral and i shift into 4lo it goes through neutral and into the 4lo position but remains in neutral

That solves the riddle--no D30 CAD.

Crawl under there with a prybar, pop the lower rod free of the transfer case shift tab, then use the prybar to get the t-case into 4lo. If you can get under it.

Good luck.

That solves the riddle--no D30 CAD.

Crawl under there with a prybar, pop the lower rod free of the transfer case shift tab, then use the prybar to get the t-case into 4lo. If you can get under it.

Good luck.

so... forceful entry with a pry bar doesnt sound like a good way to fix it. i think a proper wrench and some pb blaster or lube... something to help the rod slide down the adjuster would be much easier =)

all i know is this project was started at like 8:30am and its noon now and its still not done!?!? either you got a grip of distractions or your not doing something right!

Back