• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adventure Pass

jeprovo

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone actually buy National Forest adventure passes?

I just went into the local Turner's and bought the first adventure passes that the manager has sold... ever... and he's worked there for two years!

The sentiment from another customer was "Let them ticket me for not having a pass, it's cheaper than buying a pass."

If you get a ticket, it's just $5, which is the same price as a one-day pass. So it's no big deal.

I don't quite understand the Adventure Pass. Do you need it only if you are only going to park your vehicle and leave alone?? Like to hike or camp or something? Or, do you need it to stop and have lunch?? Or, do you need it to drive on certain roads???

E

You only need an Adventure pass if you are stopped, and exit your vehicle. So if you want to eat in the jeep, no pass is needed, just hope you don't break.

Honestly, the money goes back into the forest, and you can get an extra vehicle pass for another $5. So but with a buddy $30+5=35/2=17.50 each. Do you plan on wheeling in BB at least three times this year? I sure hope to!

I don't quite understand the Adventure Pass. Do you need it only if you are only going to park your vehicle and leave alone?? Like to hike or camp or something? Or, do you need it to stop and have lunch?? Or, do you need it to drive on certain roads???

E
I think that's the confusion. No one knows if they really NEED one... My understanding is if you park in certain areas of the national park, you need one. I bought one because it is required for some areas that I want to overnight camp in.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardino/ap/questions-and-answers.shtml#nnc

Who will need to purchase a National Forest Adventure Pass?

This is a pass to use designated sites and areas of the Angeles, Cleveland, Los Padres and San Bernardino National Forests. Visitors to these four forests will be required to display the Pass in their vehicles when using the Forest for recreation purpose. The Adventure Pass is not a national pass like the America the Beautiful Interagency Passes. It is a local regional pass, required only on the four forests listed above. America the Beautiful Interagency Passes are also accepted at all locations where the Adventure Pass is required. Go to the page links below to view a listing of the Sites & Areas that require a recreation fee. These pages include additional links to maps and vendors sales outlets.

Are there exceptions to the need for an Adventure Pass?

You will not need a pass when traveling through the Forest and not stopping, when stopped for activities incidental to through travel (stretch break, photo-opportunity, use a restroom), when you are parked at your residence or at an organization camp, or within areas covered by special use permits. A Pass is not required for people stopping for information at Ranger stations, visitor centers and other Forest Service offices, or for off-road vehicles (displaying California State OHVMR Green or Red stickers) while they are parked within a designated OHV route or area. Volunteers and educational institutions, such as schools that bring children to the Forest for an outing, are also exempt.

What about places like ski resorts and campgrounds, where I already pay?

You won't need an Adventure Pass while parked at places where a site-specific fee is already charged. The Adventure Pass covers day-use of certain campground, and these will be posted on-site. If you're uncertain whether or not you need a Pass, please call your local Forest Service office or view the listing at Designated Recreation Sites.

If you get a ticket, it's just $5, which is the same price as a one-day pass. So it's no big deal.

yea, but its just 30 bucks, it goes back into the places we love to be. And the attitude that "give me a ticket because its cheaper then the pass" is the attitude that is closing trails. So angry from closures, and not willing to help the cause. NICE

That's not what I'm saying. People are getting all stressed out about getting a ticket for not having an Adventure Pass. If you forget to get a Pass or are not able to get to a place that sells the Passes, don't worry about it. It's not a huge fine, only $5.

If you get a ticket on your window, you can go buy a one-day Pass and mail that into the Forest Service. Or you can send in a $5 bill. Either way, they're getting the money.

Or if you don't get a ticket and you're feeling guilty about not paying, buy a one-day Pass and mail it in when you get home.

johnny I wasn't directing that at you. But rather the people with the attitude of go ahead ticket me i'm not buying a pass, or i'd rather pay a 5 dollar ticket then support the forest, sorry for any confusion.

In my opinion, if you are going to the National Forest specifically to go wheeling, that is outside the spirit and intent of the exception "you will not need a pass when traveling through the Forest and not stopping, when stopped for activities incidental to through travel", even if you never stop or get out of your vehicle.

The forest is the destination, and you are going there specifically to take advantage of recreational opportunities that the forest provides.

I think that's the confusion. No one knows if they really NEED one... My understanding is if you park in certain areas of the national park, you need one. .....

Exactly...

I've been on many roads that require an Adventure Pass, but never knew it. A lot of the roads have been ones that I have driven on to get to a wheeling trail.... Some have been a detours just to get off the pavement.

I have had lunch on a trail, have stopped to use the facilities at some camp sites, have got out of the car to stretched my legs on some roads, and I have even stopped without getting out. The local officials have passed me many times, some times to even talk (I'm sure it was to see what I was up to), but I have never received a ticket. All the while, I didn't know that a pass was needed for certain areas.

The first time I started to take interest was when I was leaving an area, I saw a few vehicles that were ticketed. The only ticketed vehicles were the ones that there left alone. That's when I started reading more signs.

It's kind of interesting, I thought I just ignored the signs... But when I wheeled those places again, I realized that some entrances have signs posted and others don't.........

So, as I still stand confused, I totally understand how other people don't understand the situation either..

Just adding to the confusion in sure....
My understanding is you only need them in areas designated as enhanced, meening there are bathrooms or trash cans etc set up with in the vacinity. There is a map I'm trying to find (I use to have it in photobucket) that shows the areas BUT it changes and is enforced more in some areas than in others like at lost and jackson lakes and lytle creek where vandalism is huge problems I've seen tickets handed out like candy and in places like the trails in big bear I've never seen one.
My personal feelings on it is I buy one every year because it helps maintain and build facilities like restrooms signs and maps that are not budgeted with other funds so why not. I know I like to use a restroom in stead of pooping behind a bush

I buy one every time I go up there, whether I'm on a trail that requires it or not. Its cheap insurance against a ticket, and it goes to a good cause :dunno: I don't see why people have such an aversion to the passes. If you know you should have one, buy one. If you don't know where you need one, ask the rangers at the discovery center. They are there to help!

Back