• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HD Fan Clutch Question

Ian Christiansen

NAXJA Forum User
I purchased a Torqflo HD thermal fan clutch (p/n 922737) from Autozone. In the instructions in states "make sure to avoid interference between the body of the clutch and the fan spider". When I bolt the fan to the fan clutch, the blades of the fan are touching the fins on the fan clutch. I do have the fan installed in the proper direction. Is this a big problem since the fan and fan clutch do not spin independent of one another. It's a 2001, 4.0.

I think what they are talking about is making sure that the fan clutch can spin--it isn't jammed against the fan clutch to pulley mounting studs/bolts, in effect making it a fixed blade fan.

Actually, the clutch really does not fit the XJ, it iss the ZJ heavy duty clutch... To use it, you have to add spacers (not povided) between the clutch and the fan just to get the fan to mount. What is intresting is that if you attempt to get a stock replacement clutch from them they hand you the same does not fot ZJ clutch.

I finally went to NAPA and got the ZJ standard duty 4.0 clutch. BOlted in just fine. Doe move alot of air. Be ready to listen to a whistle at speed as the clutch does not disengage as readily as an XJ one would.

What is the part number for the ZJ HD (not MaxCool) clutch at NAPA. That's the one I have in my XJ thanks to joe_peters, now I'm looking to put one in the MJ. joe convinced me that the ZJ fan just flat out moves more air when engaged and it fit just fine, no spacers or other mods. My XJ runs nice & cool at ~200-210.

I purchased a Torqflo HD thermal fan clutch (p/n 922737) from Autozone. In the instructions in states "make sure to avoid interference between the body of the clutch and the fan spider". When I bolt the fan to the fan clutch, the blades of the fan are touching the fins on the fan clutch. I do have the fan installed in the proper direction. Is this a big problem since the fan and fan clutch do not spin independent of one another. It's a 2001, 4.0.

I had the same issue when I installed my ZJ heavy duty fan. I marked the fins of the fan clutch and used a dremel to grind them down slightly. Fan now fits fine.

I ordered p/n 272310 from NAPA this morning and returned the Autozone one. It won't be here until Tuesday and hopefully it fits better. I also went and got the Mopar lower radiator hose with the coil inside to work with the Flowkooler water pump. I hope a see difference on the temp gauge when it's done.

What is the part number for the ZJ HD (not MaxCool) clutch at NAPA. That's the one I have in my XJ thanks to joe_peters, now I'm looking to put one in the MJ. joe convinced me that the ZJ fan just flat out moves more air when engaged and it fit just fine, no spacers or other mods. My XJ runs nice & cool at ~200-210.

NAPA 272310, $44.

Back