• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Unexpected shutoff while driving ~ Fuel pump?

Wbradwilson

NAXJA Forum User
This morning I was driving to work and while cruising at about 35mph my jeep (1996 cherokee, 4.0, aw4, 85k miles) just shut off. i had only been driving for about 3 minutes and i've never had any running issues before. there was no sputtering, no bangs, pows, or noises. It was as if i just turned off the key. I didnt lose any electrical power, it was only the engine that shut off. I was able to crank the engine but it wouldnt start.

I suspect the fuel pump or some situation with the relays. I was unable to do much troubleshooting at the time because of traffic and I had to get to work.

I've done some searching on here and havent been able to find a thread with details regarding a similar issue (i'm sure there might be some out there). I know some people love to jump all over new guys for not doing enough work before posting a new thread, but i'm really just looking for some helpful info if you've got it or have experienced this before. thanks in advance.

I would suspect the crank sensor (CPS/CKP). Try unplugging and plugging it back in a few times to freshen the connection.

Did you check for no spark? No spark issues: crank sensor, ASD relay, coil, PCM and harness. I would suspect the crank sensor, ASD relay, then coil as the most likely.

The crank sensor and coil are both subject to thermal/age failures.

So, test for a no spark condition, if so, then unplug/plug the crank sensor, then try testing for 12 volts to the coil from the ASD relay.

Back