• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broken bolt question

randol35

NAXJA Forum User
Im sure this thread has been posted 1 billion times, but I broke 2 rear top shock bolts while swapping shocks. I drilled into them with drill bits that came with the easy out kits, but it came to a point that it just stopped drilling in any further.

My question is, is there any crazy drill bits that will just plow through the bolt so I can either just nut/bolt it, or heli-coil it?

you can knock the weld nuts out with a 3lb sledge and a regular punch too. i did it by accident once.

If you are looking to just drill it out, look for a cobalt (type of bit, not a Kobalt brand bit from Lowes) split point drill bit that has a 135deg tip angle. That is going to be one of your best bets for just drilling it out. The other key is not to run your drill at some ridiculous speed (full trigger in 2nd gear on a cordless is just going to heat up the bit and dull it). Keep it fairly slow and keep some form of lubrication on it, WD-40 will work since you're going to need to work overhead.

Another good tip is to use a left hand spin drillbit. Once the bolt starts to get hot, the heat + left hand bit biting in will unscrew the broken off end of bolt out of the nut as often as not.

I drilled all four of mine out with a carbide drill bit, and a 1/2" right angle drill. The bit has to be sharp, and keep dipping it in oil. I drill them to the next size, and tapped them to 3/8"-16. I put them in with silicone grease, so water won't wash it away. THey have been in, and out twice for different reasons with no problems.

i took a rubber mallet and a short stub screwdriver, two blows and they broke right off

We alternated between bits while drilling mine out- buddy sharpening them while I wrecked the ones he just sharpened. Got a metal shaving stuck in my eye, and my shoulder was bruised from being contorted underneath the jeep for hours. Had to drill one side out to the next size after stripping them the next time I put shocks on it. Last time under it, I put BPEs on it. I have hours and hours invested in 4 stupid bolts.

Use a hammer and drop some SS bolts in from the top, and paint the whole thing with antiseize. Don't be like me.

I just knocked all four out with a 3lb. sledge using the grade 8 bolt that was going to replace it as the punch as I don't have access to air tools. The last one took a bit to get out but it turned out well. I threaded the bolts through the top and bolted the new shocks in and now it looks better than new.

Back