• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best Steering for the price?

barillms

NAXJA Forum User
What's the best steering set up for the price? (I searched, but this search sucks so it never brings up what I'm looking for)
Looking to get HD trac bar/bracket, tie rod/drag link? Just curious what product is the strongest for the buck!!!

you may want to set a price.
your going to get people chirpin in on $200-$1000 systems which are great for the price... set a price and people will have a better idea of what they are giving advice on.
I went from the XJ to the ZJ tie road and didn't notice any differences, but its much heavier duty... I don't go crazy, but it works well for me. Price $150 total I think.

I wanted to replace the entire tie rod and drag link with the knuckle to knuckle tie rod set up. I guess for $400 or less... whats the highest quality/best tie rod/drag link? Also, Which HD trac bar/bracket is best?

I went with the offroad only (ORO) tie rod to tie rod system. I think the system cost about $600 but it was well worth it to me. It is really beefy and comes with everything from the tie rod to the drag link and mounting brackets. It was all bolt in and I finished installing it by myself in like 2 hours without ever having to lift the front end off the ground.

It would have taken less time, but factory loctite on the hub bolts with little room to work was a bitch.

barillms said:
What's the best steering set up for the price? (I searched, but this search sucks so it never brings up what I'm looking for)
Looking to get HD trac bar/bracket, tie rod/drag link? Just curious what product is the strongest for the buck!!!

Actually, you just don't know how to search. I have been on this site for over three years, and the search has NEVER failed to retrieve the answer to any of my questions. And no, I'm not exaggerating that.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=67834

Then spend an hour or two and learn how to use it. He's right, the search engine here will pull up anything you could possibly want to know about a cherokee, within reason.

Look at parts mike steering. www.partsmikeparts.com

You'll find that if you search.. :)

How much lift are you running?Anything OTK will require relocation of the trackbar!

I'll be running 6.5" coils. I think I like the RockKrawler steering the best.
Currie looks good too, but the Krawler is solid stock and the price is pretty darn good too!

KarlVP said:
Currie steering.

Beefcake.

Beefcake? How about taco?

100_1026.jpg

That's Currie steering at Johnson Valley.

I have a question about stock height steering.My 02 Dakota with the $1500 handling package is a dream and I have given a ton of guys in GranPrix etc a fit as this truck is excellent and even after 67K it will rip thru these bad Penna mountain roads with ease.Now,when I hop into my 95 Cherokee sport,I realize that with out Rack & pinion and this handing pkg of my Dak,the old jeep is never gonna be close,but,it seems to me,after checkin out the entire front end for play in knuckles etc,it has a lot of excessive steering wheel play.I figure with 100k on the clock,the sector needs adjustin and I see where ya gotta remove the electrict fan to gain access.My question is,how to adjust.I used to do them back years ago by loosening the nut and with an screwdriver,tighten the center until it makes contact,backoff a bit,drive to see how it feels and then toss the fan backon? Is this how you fellers do it? thanks.

91 Jeep Project said:
Wrong, the angles still need to be addressed.

OROOnRig.jpg

Would you need custom trac bar and mount in addition to the ORO kit? Is this the only way to go when upgrading the steering? I'm getting ready to run 35's w/ ~6 inches of lift. I want to make sure everything is strong enough before I get the meats.

Thanks

JCRoffroad 1-ton steering, cost me less than materials, hehe.

Back