• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Comanche Leafs and double shackle

tribal_4x4

NAXJA Forum User
So for a while i was considering getting the shackle box relocation kit but didnt have the funds available yet. I have had a pair of comanche springs sittin in my side yard for awhile that a buddy gave me and started thinking about useing them. Now today i have gone full throttle into the idea and ended up with using the comanche springs and double shackles with the combo of stock cherokee shackle and comanche shackle which im hoping in the end with give me a net total of 6.5 inches of lift.

First started by removing my RE 3.5 springs and 2" longer shackles and bolted up the comanche springs

IMAG0114.jpg

IMAG0113.jpg

IMAG0112.jpg

The comanche springs are going to move my axle back about 2 inches which is ok with me because my axle was pushed forward before do to my bad shackle angle

Now for the fun part. I made brackets to cap off my shackle box and mounted them by bolting them up and welding them in place.I had to cut out the little bulge on the side of the shackle box on both sides in order for my bracket to sit flush.

IMAG0120.jpg

IMAG0119.jpg

IMAG0118.jpg

IMAG0117.jpg

In order to clear the double shackle coming out the back i made angled cuts on the rear bumper

IMAG0116.jpg

IMAG0115.jpg

Ill i have the finish project up hopefully tonight. and friend and i are gonna head up to ruff stuff when hes off work so i can get my tabs to weld on to my brackets for the shackle to hang off of

Last edited:
its done more on toyotas and samurais from what ive seen but every truck my friends and i have built when we have done chevy 63s on the truck we end up double shackling it for more down travel. I love the set up and if done right works great. ill probably and up making a some type of limiting strap on the first shackle to keep it from opening up on the street when loading on the brakes or making sudden turns

IMAG0122.jpg

IMAG0121.jpg

where my fingers are ill have tabs welded to my shackle box cap for the first shackle to bolt up too

I've heard of it being somewhat squirrelly on the street, but have no personal experience. My brother in law did a double shackle setup when he swapped bigger axles under his Jimmy.

its not bad on the street at all as long as you drive your lifted truck like a lifted truck and not a race car. and for those instances where someone locks up in front of you and you have to quickly turn or hit the brakes well thats why ill have a "quick disconect" set up for the top shackle to keep it locked in place on the street

You still need 2 stops built in to set the ride height and prevent "inverting".I built these about 10yrs ago when I was at 3" of lift.
027_24.JPG

028_25.JPG

hey thanks for the tip! thats a great idea with the cross bar on the shackle. ill definately do that. I have never had any problems with inverting before but better safe then sorry :)

yeah i'm scared...............that seems like a lot of stress for two pinner ass stock shackles. I guess if your just doing light crawling your good, no getting sideways in the dirt at 60mph for you

watch your angles and avoid getting burned like this guy
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=968732

thats just stupid... not sure why im gettin bashed too much. guess someones gotta take the heat for doin something different. ill get finishing pics up soon. everything works amazingly. no wierd noise, softer ride and a chit ton of down travel. i feel way more stable on the rocks then i did before. no stressing the shackles even if something were too happen to the shackles they would only bend... so... oh well? either make beefy ones or get other replacements... i have them shackles limited so they dont inboard and the top shackle has a quick disconect for street driving. Dont understand the down side...

I say good on ya for doin it anyway. It's what I'm doing but I'll be building my upper shackle and it will have larger shackles. If it works for you do it... It's your rig.

Gordon

As long as the upper most shackle is secure your probably ok. considering you already welded and bolted material to your existing box,all you had to do was go ahead and weld a mounting point to the box and buy a longer shackle or use your old one, and you effectively have shackle relocator.

You still need 2 stops built in to set the ride height and prevent "inverting".I built these about 10yrs ago when I was at 3" of lift.
027_24.JPG

028_25.JPG

Nice looking set up, do you still have this installed on your rig? Looks like that big bolt is stopping the upper shackle from traveling up more. What would stop you from just welding a gusset or something along those lines also to catch the bolt.

Those 2 stops are necessary to make it safe, probably either building, using aftermarket, or reinforcing somehow the stock shackles also wouldnt be a terrible idea.

I like the Double shackle Idea, I think it looks and works in a really cool way and if done right could be way better than a long shackle and relocation bracket.

Back