• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering brace...

The benefits most often sited are reduced deflection under load, and keeping the steering box from pulling away from the frame. Many will suggest both a brace and the frame reinforcement be used together.

Yes, frame reinforcement is a must, the steering box brace is optional. It's also recommended to use a track bar mount brace along with a steering box brace. The short section of frame between the steering box and track bar mount absorbs quite a bit of flex and is prone to crack, and having just a steering brace increases the risk of that happening. So, either use a very good frame reinforcement product without a steering brace, or use both a steering and track bar brace.

And regularly check the steering box bolts to keep them tight.

Goatman, do you know who besides RE makes a track bar brace?

The way I understand it, RE's brace can only be used with their track bar bracket, which can only be used with their track bar.

Goatman, do you know who besides RE makes a track bar brace?

The way I understand it, RE's brace can only be used with their track bar bracket, which can only be used with their track bar.

as far as i know, there are three bracket/brace setups out there. all of the brackets must use the company's matching brace. RE, Rusty's, and Full Traction. RE is the only one that uses more then one bolt at the bracket side, the brace bolts to the bracket with 2 1/2" bolts. Rusty's and FT simply have a flat spot with a hole that uses the same bolt that the trackbar uses to bolt to the bracket.

I had the RE setup and loved it, and i didnt have a RE trackbar :D you just have to use a joint that has the same diamentions, i used a 2" JJ with a 1/2" bolt.

Do bumper mounts that use the steering box holes and extend far back count as a frame reinforcement?

Yes,as long as you also use an re-inforced inner plate and sleeves.

Do bumper mounts that use the steering box holes and extend far back count as a frame reinforcement?

Yes,as long as you also use an re-inforced inner plate and sleeves.

Which basically means no. You need something better than just better bumper mounts that the steering box bolts can mount through. The whole area needs more structure, both inside and out, and preferably going back and attaching to the track bar frame bracket.

I added a steering brace after I noticed the frame rail flexing when turning the wheel back and forth, and the time I was running 31" tires.

Ok so I kinda forgot about this thread I started here. I just picked up a bumper that has a pretty nice outer frame mount, knowing that I still have the stock inner steering box spacer thing. Where can I get just the driver side inner brace? I searched and found C-Rok but it just says "out of service"? Anyone else that will have this?

Would i be ok with just using JCRs steering spacer?

Last edited:
Never mind... Found c-rok and TnT customs braces. Man, They sure are proud of that little piece of metal!!!!

I got the T&T steering brace as an option when I got my T&T front bumper. It is a nice stout piece but yes, they are rather proud of it. I ended up getting a second one and cut the steering box stand-offs off so I could box in the passenger side as well. Also, I forget whether they came with the brace or with the bumper, but I'd get the frame inserts too if you're planning on using this in conjunction with aftermarket bumper brackets.

Resurrecting this thread.

My XJ has a BPI Trail Tuff front bumper that uses the forward holes (3 on side, 1 on bottom of "frame") for mounting. Will that interfere with the mounting of the reinforcements such as JKS, TnT, C-ROK?

Thanks,
David

Never mind... Found c-rok and TnT customs braces. Man, They sure are proud of that little piece of metal!!!!

If you buy just an inner brace,such as a C-ROK, to go along with a bumper mount, make sure to get the three frame spacers that go inside the frame to keep from collapsing the frame rails.
The stock internal spacers are weak and will not hold up to large tires and wheels.

Back