• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hey guys i have a problem! cant shift ( 5speed )

TwistedcaB

NAXJA Forum User
ok well i have a 5sp manual and when the jeep is on it doesnt want too go into gear i have too push it in like as hard as i can. and when the jeep is off i can slide it into every gear easilly. it started randomly today but i thinkkk it started when i went too close my gate and had to get out and since my ebrake doesnt work i was just gonna turn it off and park it in first but i turned off the key and let off the clutch right after and then it kinda jumped a bit. and it did it a little on the way too where i was going and when i left from there too come home it just didnt want too go into gear easilly at all and now it barely will unless im fighting it. what is this?!?!

also i should add it feels like it doesnt want too go into the gates. annyyy ideass?? clutch or somethin?

ok guys so it's got weirder... it was buggin me soo i went and and drove it around my property and i left it in first and started going without giving it gas soo it would shutter kinda bad and i did that a few times and idk if it shook it into place but i can acctually shift it now.. loose tranny bolts or something???

and also idk about fluid because it's been perfect till today

First off - try the tech section.
Sounds like your clutch master is failing, or your clutch slave is failing, or you have a leak in your clutch hydraulics, or you're low on transmission fluid, or you're clutch pressure plate broke a weld, or it Wednesday, or... (you getting the idea?)
With all the different combinations of transmissions offered on the XJ, you might want to offer more information. Like "I have an 1987 XJ converted to an early AX-15/Internal Slave..."

mine was doing the same thing. The first problem was that the line got melted. the second problem was, as stated above, the clutch master was leaking. After looking at it closely and seeing a spot on the carpet, i could definently see it had been leaking

frst off it's a 91 4x4 2.5L 5speed. ok well when the jeep is on it doesnt want too go into gear i have too push it in like as hard as i can. and when the jeep is off i can slide it into every gear easilly. it started randomly today but i thinkkk it started when i went too close my gate and had to get out and since my ebrake doesnt work i was just gonna turn it off and park it in first but i turned off the key and let off the clutch right after and then it kinda jumped a bit. and it did it a little on the way too where i was going and when i left from there too come home it just didnt want too go into gear easilly at all and now it barely will unless im fighting it. what is this?!?!

also i should add it feels like it doesnt want too go into the gates. annyyy ideass?? clutch or somethin?

Edit:
ok guys so it's got weirder... it was buggin me soo i went and and drove it around my property and i left it in first and started going without giving it gas soo it would shutter kinda bad and i did that a few times and idk if it shook it into place but i can acctually shift it now.. loose tranny bolts or something???

frst off it's a 91 4x4 2.5L 5speed. ok well when the jeep is on it doesnt want too go into gear i have too push it in like as hard as i can. and when the jeep is off i can slide it into every gear easilly. it started randomly today but i thinkkk it started when i went too close my gate and had to get out and since my ebrake doesnt work i was just gonna turn it off and park it in first but i turned off the key and let off the clutch right after and then it kinda jumped a bit. and it did it a little on the way too where i was going and when i left from there too come home it just didnt want too go into gear easilly at all and now it barely will unless im fighting it. what is this?!?!

Edit:
how does the clutch feel when pressed, soft and goes all the way to the floor or is it hard to push in?

does your jeep try to move with the clutch pushed in?

does it shift easier after you get it into gear and start moving?

it's pretty soft all the way too the floor and doesnt try too move at all with the clutch pushed it. and it doesnt get any easier... well till now after i had it " shake " back into place or whatever and now it's alot easier too put into gear

I also have a 5 speed / 2.5.

Check the motor mounts and trans mount. All of mine needed replacing on the '96. Something might have gotten bounced out of alignment and than bounced back, it might not be fixed, but just back in place until the next time.

Sounds like the clutch wasn't disengaging fully.

How many miles total? How long have you owned it? Have you ever had any clutch work done?

Be sure to check the clutch MC fluid level. Also, use a bright light and check the backside of the clutch MC for any fluid leakage.

Check clutch fluid, it only has to be "a little low" to cause problems. Check for clutch fluid leaks, bleed clutch. Try that first, then you might wanna go about further investigation.

If you DO find a leak (lay underneath and have someone press the clutch pedal) look for leaks with a flashlight. Leaking from bell housing, bad (harder to fix). Leaking from hose, good (easy to fix)

Back