• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tomken fuel tank skid a worthy upgrade over stock?

rocknxj

NAXJA Forum User
Got a stock fuel tank skid for my '99 Classic already installed. I'm hoping some Tomken users out there will help me determine if the stock skid is just as good as Tomken fuel tank skid, or if the upgrade is worth the extra bucks.

I heard they are only 1/8" thick and there are pro's and con's to that (weight vs strength). Chime in, please. I'm interested in actual user's opinions.

I've got the Tomken gas skid. It's sturdy enough to protect from some good rock hits. The thing I don't like about it is that it mounts in the front with the stock gas tank hooks, and in the rear with 4 bolts. I would much rather that it mounted using the side rails like JCR and everyone else does. It hasn't let me down but I would probably go with a different one if I had the choice.

That's good to know. I don't mind the stock tanks so much, and I do like the way it mounts to the nut stips on either side. Maybe I need to rethink this.

Anyone else?

I installed a skid on my 2001 XJ's gas tank 2 days ago from JCR Offroad. I went wheeling with it yesterday and I can tell you, it's BAD ASS.

I remember clicking the "order now" button on their website thinking "this better be worth it" and I tore my muffler off on the trail yesterday. God knows what would have happened to my gas tank without the skid! I don't even want to think about being stuck where we were wheeling!

$0.02

I have the Tomken and its on its second rig now. I have landed on it plenty of times with nothing but scraps and minor creases to show for the damage. I would buy another one without hesitation. It is better than the stock skid but probably not as heavy as some others out there but the balance between weight and protection is always a fine line to walk.

That's good to know. I don't mind the stock tanks so much, and I do like the way it mounts to the nut stips on either side. Maybe I need to rethink this.

Anyone else?

Double mega dittos regarding the front mounting of the skid to the gas tank straps. Not a great idea. In Moab during the Fall Fling 2006, I came off a rock and down hard directly on the gas tank. Tomken skid saved me from a bunch of damage...

HOWEVER...

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=764953&postcount=1

Back