• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 data link connector

jstaples

NAXJA Forum User
I recently purchased an Actron scan tool to read and reset OBD II codes on my 1996 Jeep Cherokee. Is it possible to also read and reset codes from the transmission control unit for the AW4 auto transmission?

Where is the date link connector located? Is the connector the same as OBD II? What affordable scanners can read and reset codes from the tcu?

Same connector... same codes also iirc. The TCU reports problems to the ECU. The TCU also has one wire that goes directly to the OBD II data link connector. I seem to recall it being pink, and the signal being ISO9141-K, but this may not be 100% correct.

However, on a 96 there is very little reporting from the TCU to the ECU. On a 97 they added some more, and in 98 they pretty much filled out the set of codes the TCU will report.

I use a ScanGauge II, your Actron probably does about the same thing. I've seen P0700, P0751, P0756, and all the engine related codes I needed with it.

When I connected to the OBD II under the dash, the scan tool reported that there were no codes. This means no codes from the TCU as well?

Back